Question Taking old Windows 10 hard drive to NEW computer but not as primary. Only as backup and secondary.

Feb 26, 2019
My Refurbished Dell XPS from 2016 died yesterday with smoke and sparks. I got into it and between the 3rd party motherboard and the overuse of thermal glue the poor Intel chip just did not have room to breathe.

Luckily, I've been contemplating a new purchase because I'm doing more Adobe related things. I knew I was going to be in the market for a Ryzen 7 2700x. With the need being immediate I was able to run down to the big yellow box store and got a very nice Cyberpower GMA3000BST. Between it being on sale and so was the Ryzen 7 I was able to walk out with for less than $1200 after taxes.

So I'm about to open the case and move all the memory from my old computer to my new one. The question I have is can I move my old hard drive over as a secondary drive? Well, in this case, it would be the third drive because the Cyberpower came with an SDD also. I don't want it booting to the old drive. I just want to be able to access it. Most everything is back up to Carbonite and my main storage is in OneDrive but I'm not totally confident in all of those having every file. I know the hard drive will still be registered to Microsoft for Office and Carbonite so that's an easy fix. But will the Windows have a conflict with the old drive? It was having trouble installing the new release but from what I can tell most Windows users are having the same problem.

Can I be greedy and keep that TB hard drive? Since my other computer is dead I can't wipe it or reformat it so it would have to be done in this machine.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Sure you can. The only issue will be that you have to fix ownership and permission settings to your old user folders to gain access to them once again.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10

Personally, after taking permission and ownership. I would copy your user folders to another drive. Then format the old drive. To clear out all the junk. Then you can move everything back.

TRENDING THREADS