Question Taking ownership issues, windows 10

Apr 15, 2019
Hey everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have been given a HDD to try and extract some personal files, docs. vids etc. I have changed ownership and set administration privilages to full control for myself. but I cant get access the 'one drive' folder within the users folder on this HDD. The owner has set his desktop, pictures and videos to go into this folder.

Everytime I run the take ownership, this file in particular comes up as access denied.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

D

Deleted member 14196

I don’t believe you can if he’s encrypted it. One drive is a very personal thing so this is normal

Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for the reply guys, sorry I forgot to mention, i have been in the file before, Ive seen and got access to particular things that he has asked for prior to plugging this back into my dock and getting something else for him ( Now this issue )

Ive selected, everyone, my computer username and admin as well as setting permissions

Colif

Win 11 Master
Onedrive folder likely controlled by SYSTEM user, so perhaps windows is just being overly protective of itself, even if you are logged in as another user, windows can still sort of tell based on folder types.

might be easier to use linux as it doesn't care about permissions.

Apr 15, 2019
Onedrive folder likely controlled by SYSTEM user, so perhaps windows is just being overly protective of itself, even if you are logged in as another user, windows can still sort of tell based on folder types.

might be easier to use linux as it doesn't care about permissions.

I don't have a Linux system to try it on tbh.

Apr 15, 2019
So these items were all in a folder on his desktop. The last time I accessed the hard drive, I navigated it through the one drive folder. there was over 300gb of data that was there.

When we log into his one drive account, only 5gb of data was there.

The reason why the actual owner cant access this information is because his mobo died and he fully upgraded his pc, which include a new SSD and larger HDD

When I go into his desktop folder under users, none of his files show, I have shown hidden folders and have ownership and admin permission but still don't see any desktop folders.

D

Deleted member 14196

That user should be able to get his files from onedrive from the cloud in this case since his motherboard back blowup. Honestly this is the whole reason for one drive it stores your stuff in the cloud. You can just re-synchronize it to another drive

Apr 15, 2019
Yeah I'm aware of this, but like ive stated before he has been saving all his documents to this one drive folder for whatever reason. and the back up has only got 5gb worth of saved files.

Ive been in this folder before when I have taken control and made sure my user is admin and has privs/permissions but now it wont let me access it when ive come out of it and gone back in.

TRENDING THREADS