G

I'm looking to raid0 a couple 40 gigs. I was planning on going with deskstars but there seems to be a strong Maxtor following on these pages. I pretty much play games and do some photoshop for fun. Can anyone out give me a nudge in the right direction. I want storage that is quick and reliable but also quiet.

Gurus I Thank You

AMD850 tbird (soon to be XP1600)
256MB RAM
kt7a raid
geforce pro leadtek
wd ata66 20G

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
my maxtor 40 gig d740x ata-133 is fast, quiet, reliable, and doesnt run hot.
very good drive.
and i paid $90(US) for it at fry's electronics.
very nice drive.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have two Maxtor 30GB (5T030H3) drives in a RAID 0 and can't remember how long it's been. I would have to say they have been running 24/7 for about a year. I have a AMD Athlon 1GHz and I can't hear them over my delta fan on the GlobalWin heat sink :smile: .

Check out <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new"><font color=orange>NewEgg.</font color=orange></A> They have some pretty good prices on Maxtor drives also.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, my 40 gig is 87...that is like 10 cheaper than what i paid for mine at frys...but if you add shipping..then it is about the same..
and there is no wait.
but it is good.
newegg is where i was going to buy all my computer stuff, but i got impatient..lol

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Most of the time I just watch Comp<font color=red>USA</font color=red>, <font color=blue>Best</font color=blue><font color=orange>Buy</font color=orange>, and <font color=red>Office Depot</font color=red> for deals. I have gotten 400 CDR's for free doing that, and they seem to be pretty damn good CD's. I have also bought most of my Maxtor Hard Drives through <font color=red>Office Depot</font color=red>, because they have killer deals every once and awhile.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I pretty much play games and do some photoshop for fun
OMG, you want RAID for this? Buy a couple of fast disks & use them in a JBOD setup. Back important stuff to the second disk, & put pagefile there too.

Really want to RAID? Buy yourself a SCSI (preferrably multi channel) adapter & some 10000 or 15000 rpm disks. Want to have a Walmart RAID array? Use IDE RAID.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I really don't agree with the Wal-Mart comment. If you want to be a yuppie and run out and spend hundreds of dollars on SCSI equipment then all the more power to you. Any end user has no use for a SCSI RAID system. Further more you could get a FastTrak TX4 controller from Promise and stripe four hard drives in an array and get pretty damn good sustained transfers out of a "Wal-Mart" RAID array.

We all know that SCSI is all around better, but the price difference doesn't fit into everyone's pocket book. If we could all have a SCSI system, I am sure that we would jump on that in a moments notice!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agh! You really need help! JBOD does nothing except merge disk space! IDE RAID 0 significantly improves file copying, saving, opening, booting Windows, etc. If you don't know what you are saying then say nothing; it makes you look stupid.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
This link will back that comment from AMD_Man.

<A HREF="http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci343350,00.html" target="_new"><font color=blue>JBOD</font color=blue></A>

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You really need help

AMD_MAN, yes you're right. Sorry 'bout the JBOD referemce. I was exhausted when I posted & just wasn't thinking. I meant to use the disks as independent drives (without spanning of course). I apologise.

Sleep, needed sleep.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

TRENDING THREADS