Talk about HOT!!! What's the deal with these temps?

rgglass84

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Ok, here are my system specs:

Core i7 920 - stock
MoBo - Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Cooler - Cooler master V8
Case - Cooler master HAF 932
Memory - OCZ Gold 6 GB DDR3 1600
Power supply - Antec NeoPower 650
Graphics - Asus 4870 1 GB DK edition
1 320 gig HDD

Here's my problem. My 920 is running very hot. I asked this question in another thread and was informed to try reapply thermal paste and was warned there is a possibility that it wasn't making good enough contact. Will I reapplied the thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) in a thin coating over the processor. My idle temps are in the upper 30's to low 40's, and under load with prime95 running, around the mid 60's to 70's. I have seen people not getting these temps until they OC'd to 3.6 ghz. When I tried to OC to that I am running hi 40's, low 50's idle, and my temps are shooting up to the high 80's, low 90's with prime 95 running, but stable. Here is what I had set when I OC'd:

Mobo settings:

AI OC Tuner - Manual
Intel speed step and intel turbo tech - both disabled
CPU Ratio - Auto
BCLK Freq - 180
PCIE Freq - 100
DRAM Freq - I believe it was somewhere in the 13 or 1400's
UCLK Freq - Auto
QPI Freq - Auto

Voltage settings:

CPU Volt - 1.35
PLL Volt - 1.96
QPI/DRAM Volt - 1.35
DRAM Bus Volt - 1.64
CPU Differential - 800mV

What do you guys think? Is there a possible error on my part somewhere? Could it be something with the system or cooler? Am I just crazy? Any help or suggestions on what to do will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You're trying to oc an i7 with the stock cooler. Of course it's going to run hot. Get a better heatsink. And please don't reply with "But I've read that other people's temps are..."

rgglass84

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
No no... the i7 I have is at stock speeds, which is what I meant by "stock," not the cooler. I have a cooler master v8 heatsink/fan. I had it overclocked to 3.6 ghz but dropped it back down to stock due to temps. That is where it's at now, and I am still getting crazy high temps. Re-read my first post again.

Grnkjr0

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I would say they look high with a cooler like that in a HAF 932 case.

Why are you running your memory at 1400 if your memory is 1600? You need to make sure that you set the Uncore frequenzy to the double of your memory and then some. If your RAM are running 1600 memory frequenzy, Uncore frequenzy needs to be set to x21 - which is 3400 - always double the speed and then next on the ladder. Then change the QPI link speed to x36.

Perhaps you are not getting a full contact between the CPU and your cooler base ! Looks to be too hot with that setup I think.

Poul

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
The temps still seems to be on the high side?
How did you design the case airflow? Your CPU cooler is expelling the hot air towards the rear and you have a case fan pulling that air and blowing it out the case? Have you set the CPU cooler fan to run its max speed (BIOS or fan control) and does it make a difference? Does it make a difference with the side panel removed? If it does, then you need better airflow within the case.

That 4870 is notorious for turning your case into a space heater.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

I apologize. My bad. Missed that.

rgglass84

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
No problem gator.

I don't see how I'm not getting full contact between the cooler and CPU. I have it tightened as much as I can tighten it. Am I maybe missing something?

The cpu fan is blowing towards the rear and the case fan is blowing it out of the case. The top fan is also blowing air out of the case. The cpu fan is set at max, which is 1900 rpm, however, PC Probe II shows it running at 2000 rpm. I did see the temps drop when I turned it up all the way. I have not tried removing the side panel to see if it makes a difference.

Ok, so I will double check and make sure my cpu fan is tightened as best as possible to ensure proper contact. I will also remove the side panel and see if that makes a difference. I will report back after doing those. Any other suggestions in the mean time will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

rgglass84

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Well, the cpu fan is on as tight as I can get it, having the side panel does nothing different, and I am still getting the same temps. I'm stumped.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Try reseating the heatsink again. But this time apply the thermal compound as a thin line in the middle of the cpu. Don't spread it out first.

1) What is your ambient temperature? If you are in a warm room, your temps will be higher. A good cooler starts at that temperature plus a delta. This might be 7-15c or some such number.

2) Your 4870 is a hot vga card. The cooler on the asus DK cards do a good job of getting heat off of the vga chip. But... it just dumps the heat inside your case, raising the temperature of the air the cpu cooler has to deal with. For that reason, I will not buy a high end vga card without a dual slot cooler that sends all the hot air directly out the back.

2) A thin coating spread of as-5 is not how the as-5 people recommend. Too much material acts as an insulator. Here is a link to their suggestions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html
A thin stripe is all that is needed. It will spread on it's own.

daship

Distinguished

Wrong link.