Taming special beasts

I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
Boar.

Vertoobli wrote:
> I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
> them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
> beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
> Boar.

Unfortunatly, they do not get any special abilities that they had
whilst they were not your pet. There is a set list of abilities that
pets can have and some pets will come with on or more of them. The
abilities that I know of are:

Growl - increase threat
Cower - decrease threat
Dash - increase speed for a short time (only for land pets)
Dive - increase speed for a short time (only for flying pets)
Claw - low damage extra attack with a short cooldown
Bite - higher damager extra attack with a longer cooldown

Not all pets can learn each ability - a lot can have claw and not bite
or vice versa for example.

A great resource for pet abilities can be found on the Good Intentions
Guild website (http://www.goodintentionsguild.info). That site also
lists which pets are good tanks and which are good DPS and which are
good all-rounders.

steve.kaye

Vertoobli wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2005 07:42:02 -0700, "steve.kaye"
> <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >Vertoobli wrote:
> >> I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
> >> them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
> >> beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
> >> Boar.
> >
> >Unfortunatly, they do not get any special abilities that they had
> >whilst they were not your pet. There is a set list of abilities that
> >pets can have and some pets will come with on or more of them. The
> >abilities that I know of are:
> >
> >Growl - increase threat
> >Cower - decrease threat
> >Dash - increase speed for a short time (only for land pets)
> >Dive - increase speed for a short time (only for flying pets)
> >Claw - low damage extra attack with a short cooldown
> >Bite - higher damager extra attack with a longer cooldown
> >
> >Not all pets can learn each ability - a lot can have claw and not bite
> >or vice versa for example.
> >
> >A great resource for pet abilities can be found on the Good Intentions
> >Guild website (http://www.goodintentionsguild.info). That site also
> >lists which pets are good tanks and which are good DPS and which are
> >good all-rounders.
> >
> >steve.kaye
>
> Thanks. I have the list of what pets do what and what pets to get
> skills from, I just wondered if I could get some kind of Uber-pig from
> somewhere, that has extra defense or str or attacks speed. An Elite
> pig for want of a better word.

Attack speed is one of the things that does differ from pet to pet. I
got a cat with a 1.2 attack speed - a Swamp Jaguar I think from the
Swamp of Sorrows. That site I gave also has a list of pets with low
attack speeds and where to find them. I'm not sure if any of them are
pigs though.

steve.kaye

Rastus a écrit :
> > I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
> > them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
> > beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
> > Boar.
>
> Allakhazam's has a rare mob list. Just look for the ones of "beast" class.
> The added notes from other players are nomrally from tamers who are bragging
> about having it, though I would take it with a grain of salt.

I love you.

> The pigs/boar get a charge abiltiy.

They don't. You just got abused by the hunter level 10 quest. I love
you.

> I use a crocolisk (sp?). They have a bite attack on top of normal mellee, so
> when they taunt, bite and mellee the aggro adds up. My level 15 is at 750 AR
> as well so can take the heat generated as well.

I love you.

There is an elite pig in Razorfen, Kraul I believe. It has shoulder
tattoes much like druid bear form has. I'm confident it doesn't bestow
on you, nor retain, the boar's special abilities, though it might come
with one of the "pet" abilities. The pig is huge, but quickly reverts
to hunter's pet size after taming. It'll keep the special markings
which are very cool. I saw an Orc Hunter with this boar so I know it's
tameable. Or was.

On 26 Jul 2005 07:42:02 -0700, "steve.kaye"
<nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

>Vertoobli wrote:
>> I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
>> them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
>> beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
>> Boar.
>
>Unfortunatly, they do not get any special abilities that they had
>whilst they were not your pet. There is a set list of abilities that
>pets can have and some pets will come with on or more of them. The
>abilities that I know of are:
>
>Growl - increase threat
>Cower - decrease threat
>Dash - increase speed for a short time (only for land pets)
>Dive - increase speed for a short time (only for flying pets)
>Claw - low damage extra attack with a short cooldown
>Bite - higher damager extra attack with a longer cooldown
>
>Not all pets can learn each ability - a lot can have claw and not bite
>or vice versa for example.
>
>A great resource for pet abilities can be found on the Good Intentions
>Guild website (http://www.goodintentionsguild.info). That site also
>lists which pets are good tanks and which are good DPS and which are
>good all-rounders.
>
>steve.kaye

Thanks. I have the list of what pets do what and what pets to get
skills from, I just wondered if I could get some kind of Uber-pig from
somewhere, that has extra defense or str or attacks speed. An Elite
pig for want of a better word.

Hello,

> Growl - increase threat
> Cower - decrease threat

I don t really understand 'cower', does this mean that your pet can
release threat so that the mob comes TO you ?

Dlp

On 2005-07-26 17:35:41 +0200, DLPnet <dlpnet-@-free.fr> said:

> Hello,
>

>> Growl - increase threat
>> Cower - decrease threat
>

> I don t really understand 'cower', does this mean that your pet can
> release threat so that the mob comes TO you ?
>
> Dlp

Yup, Succubus has a similar ability, called Soothing Kiss, reducing
threat as well. Cause sometimes you wanna tank yourself and let the pet
deal the damage. Or use it in groups, but dont wanna steal aggro of the
tank...
--
http://www.new-roots.com/
Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 60 - Bloodscalp EU

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
> them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
> beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
> Boar.

Allakhazam's has a rare mob list. Just look for the ones of "beast" class.
The added notes from other players are nomrally from tamers who are bragging
about having it, though I would take it with a grain of salt.

The pigs/boar get a charge abiltiy.

I use a crocolisk (sp?). They have a bite attack on top of normal mellee, so
when they taunt, bite and mellee the aggro adds up. My level 15 is at 750 AR
as well so can take the heat generated as well.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:18:10 +0100, Vertoobli <motoko@null.com> scribed
into the ether:

>I have spotted the occasional named beast and read about people taming
>them and stuff, Is there anyway to find out what characteristics these
>beasts have or are they all the same? I specifically am after a Pig or
>Boar.

Except for coloration, there's really not much difference between the
unique pets and the more prosaic ones. There are some exceptions...several
named cats have faster than normal attack speeds.

If you want a boar, head to Razorfen Kraul, and grab one of the terminator
piggies. All covered in metal bits. Very stylish.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:52:40 +0100, Vertoobli <motoko@null.com> scribed
into the ether:

>On 26 Jul 2005 07:42:02 -0700, "steve.kaye"
><nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

>>A great resource for pet abilities can be found on the Good Intentions
>>Guild website (http://www.goodintentionsguild.info). That site also
>>lists which pets are good tanks and which are good DPS and which are
>>good all-rounders.
>>

>Thanks. I have the list of what pets do what and what pets to get
>skills from, I just wondered if I could get some kind of Uber-pig from
>somewhere, that has extra defense or str or attacks speed. An Elite
>pig for want of a better word.

Forget it. No such thing. Tamed elites are the same as tamed normal
versions. Other than appearance, there are no boars which are statistically
superior to any other.

Most of the originality of various pets has been systematically squished
out of them by Blizzard. They'll keep doing more until the only difference
between pets is what they look like.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:35:41 +0200, DLPnet <dlpnet-@-free.fr> scribed into
the ether:

>Hello,
>

>> Growl - increase threat
>> Cower - decrease threat
>

>I don t really understand 'cower', does this mean that your pet can
>release threat so that the mob comes TO you ?

Yes. If your pet is at 10% health, and you are full, wouldn't you rather
have the monster beat on you for a bit rather than having to ressurect your
pet?

"DLPnet" <dlpnet-@-free.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

>> Growl - increase threat
>> Cower - decrease threat
>

> I don t really understand 'cower', does this mean that your pet can
> release threat so that the mob comes TO you ?

Use it in groups so that the tank can keep aggro while you use the pet's
focus for another damage attack or dash or something.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:52:40 +0100, Vertoobli <motoko@null.com> scribed
> into the ether:
>
> >On 26 Jul 2005 07:42:02 -0700, "steve.kaye"
> ><nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >>A great resource for pet abilities can be found on the Good Intentions
> >>Guild website (http://www.goodintentionsguild.info). That site also
> >>lists which pets are good tanks and which are good DPS and which are
> >>good all-rounders.
> >>

> >Thanks. I have the list of what pets do what and what pets to get
> >skills from, I just wondered if I could get some kind of Uber-pig from
> >somewhere, that has extra defense or str or attacks speed. An Elite
> >pig for want of a better word.
>
> Forget it. No such thing. Tamed elites are the same as tamed normal
> versions. Other than appearance, there are no boars which are statistically
> superior to any other.
>
> Most of the originality of various pets has been systematically squished
> out of them by Blizzard. They'll keep doing more until the only difference
> between pets is what they look like.

Each beast family (cat, dog, bear, turule, etc.) has the same stats as
far as hits, armor, and dps. There is some variation between families,
e.g. a bear has more hits than a cat, a raptor hits harder than a
turtle, a turtle has more armor than a raptor, etc. etc.

Each beast family can also learn some but not all of the 6 pet skills
(dash, dive, bit, claw, growl, cower). Some beast may have some of
these abilities when you get them.

Beyond that, and a few exceptions, everyone pet in the same beast
family is the same. The exceptions are attack speed and run speed. Some
pets have faster attack speeds (not more dps though) and faster run
speeds. Often these special pets are named rares and/or elites. They
have been in the process of nerfing any differences, but those two I
just mentioned remain (although less than before, they have nerfed some
of the extremes).

Good news is in 1.7 they are suppose to re-do pet abilities and allow
more customization of pets via training points.

"Good news is in 1.7 they are suppose to re-do pet abilities and allow
more customization of pets via training points. "

Dash 2 is available at level 40.

So as of 1.7 I brought my Hunter out of retirement and got a
Ridgestalker tamed so I could train my own cats (Jaguarette, a speedy
Swamp Jaguar, who was faster than Royalty, who was King Bangalash in
his former existence) in Dash 2. They still have over a hundred
training points each.

Where is the customization if all pets can have max abilities in every
category allowed?

My pets have so many unspent talent points and all of the abilities
they can learn are maxed.

And why introduce Dash at level 30? (30 or something fairly high.) At
the early levels that's where the training points are dear and need to
be applied. If more abilities were available early on, then there
might be some customization. Some would opt for speed, maybe, others
in claw. As it is the pets earn so many talent points that you simply
keep each ability maximized. Further making all similar pets identical
except for the odd colored one.

At level 45 my cats both have talent points coming out of their butts
and nothing to spend them on.

When is gear we can equip our pets with coming? I want to make, as a
leatherworker, a spiked collar for my cat that'll add to damage done.
And I want to sell those spiked collars for cash. Collars, vests, etc.
Not every pet should be able to wear things. I imagine flying
serpents will want to remain rather light. But Owls could be
supplemented with steel claws, Bears with Armor vests, wolves with
spiked collars.

There is just so much more the pets could be doing in this game.

Robert S. wrote:
> So as of 1.7 I brought my Hunter out of retirement and got a
> Ridgestalker tamed so I could train my own cats

Might have the versions confused...1.7 isn't out yet.

Bliz says 1.7 will bring a re-work of the survival talent tree. That's
really all they said for sure. Other hunter changes are planned
including new pet skills that you will be able to buy with all those
unused training points and they talked about "customizing" pets with
those. They haven't said this is definitely in 1.7, but they did say
1.7 will have more hunter changes then just survival...some wishful
thinking maybe to say pet changes will be in 1.7 too.

Boars have charge, bats have silence, spiders have web/poison, swoops
have knock down, etc...NO NO they didn't say that's how it works, but I
it would be cool if you could buy back some of the natural abilities
beasts have before becoming tame.

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:35:41 +0200, DLPnet <dlpnet-@-free.fr> scribed into
> the ether:
>
>>Hello,
>>

>>> Growl - increase threat
>>> Cower - decrease threat
>>

>>I don t really understand 'cower', does this mean that your pet can
>>release threat so that the mob comes TO you ?
>
> Yes. If your pet is at 10% health, and you are full, wouldn't you rather
> have the monster beat on you for a bit rather than having to ressurect your
> pet?

Trying to find and activate Cower at that point (and DE-activate Growl), would
be a whole lot less practical than just using the hunter's Distract shot, which
instantly aggro's a monster onto you. But usually a better option at that point,
is just to stop shooting and use Heal Pet for 5 seconds, and let him keep
aggro. If the monster's such a badass that this isn't going to work, and your
pet will just die and leave a too-much-life-left-to-kill-via-melee mob in your
lap, then you'd best just cut your losses, kick in Aspect of the Cheetah/Pack,
and get the hell out of Dodge while your pet gives his all for the cause. Pets
are cheap, and resurrect easy.

The real usefulness of Cower is in instance runs, where another player is
acting as MT (Main Tank)- in those situations, you want to leave your pet on
Cower and turn off Growl, and also set him to Passive so he won't be getting
your party wiped by attacking something at the wrong time/place. The main
tank needs to be the one collecting ALL aggro for the proper workings of a
good party, and any aggro-stealing by a hunter's pet can mess things up in
many situations.
-Marshall

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:05:41 GMT, "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> scribed
> into the ether:
>

> >"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:35:41 +0200, DLPnet <dlpnet-@-free.fr> scribed into
> >> the ether:

> >> Yes. If your pet is at 10% health, and you are full, wouldn't you rather
> >> have the monster beat on you for a bit rather than having to ressurect your
> >> pet?
> >
> >Trying to find and activate Cower at that point (and DE-activate Growl), would
> >be a whole lot less practical than just using the hunter's Distract shot, which
> >instantly aggro's a monster onto you.
>
> No. Distracting Shot does generate substantial aggro, but it is not like
> warrior Taunt, where it automatically puts you on top of the list. I've had
> to spend as many as 3 such shots to get a mob to change target.
>
> Turning off growl and turning on cower is a couple of mouse clicks or a
> couple of keypresses...big whoop. I usually have my mouse in that area
> anyway for activating bite/claw; my pet has terrible "mana" management, so
> I do it for him.

I use SmartPet which is an add-on that can do all this. You tell it
which abilities you want to enable and it makes sure that it has enough
focus to activate growl/cower as required. It can also automatically
turn off growl and turn on cower when its health gets below a
configurable %.

It also has run management - it calls your pet back when your target
starts running. I don't use this so I'm not sure how well it works.

(http://ui.worldofwar.net is a great add-ons web site)

> > But usually a better option at that point,
> >is just to stop shooting and use Heal Pet for 5 seconds, and let him keep
> >aggro.
>
> I've never been terribly impressed with mend pet. Usually the time is
> better spent hurting the mob instead of healing the pet. It's also a
> serious mana-hog.

Yeah and you tend to be stuck in a never-ending loop. Mend Pet often
doesn't heal fast enough to get your pet out of danger and so you have
to keep mending until pet or mob dies.

> >The real usefulness of Cower is in instance runs, where another player is
> >acting as MT (Main Tank)- in those situations, you want to leave your pet on
> >Cower and turn off Growl, and also set him to Passive so he won't be getting
> >your party wiped by attacking something at the wrong time/place.
>
> Oddly, I've never used Cower in an instance, and I frequently leave Growl
> on. Pet never gets any aggro that it isn't supposed to (well, there was one
> exception at the Maraudon falls, but growl had nothing to do with that).
>
> Pet is a highly useful offtank and good for collecting spare aggro that
> happens upon a squishie during the chaos of a fight. Having growl on means
> that the pet will do its job a lot faster.

I agree with that. I don't do many instances but when I've done them
I've never had any problem with my pet getting agro when it shouldn't
have and it is a useful off-tank.

steve.kaye

porl wrote:
> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> > Trying to find and activate Cower at that point (and DE-activate Growl),
> > would
> > be a whole lot less practical than just using the hunter's Distract shot,
> > which
> > instantly aggro's a monster onto you. But usually a better option at that
> > point,
> > is just to stop shooting and use Heal Pet for 5 seconds, and let him keep
> > aggro. If the monster's such a badass that this isn't going to work, and
> > your
> > pet will just die and leave a too-much-life-left-to-kill-via-melee mob in
> > your
> > lap, then you'd best just cut your losses, kick in Aspect of the
> > Cheetah/Pack,
> > and get the hell out of Dodge while your pet gives his all for the cause.
> > Pets
> > are cheap, and resurrect easy.
>
> It's pretty hard to get out of Dodge in an instance, the mobs are quite,
> quite persistant. And you can't pet heal if you've no mana left.

My "Get Out Of Dodge" button is bound to F12. Most people call it
"Feign Death" though.

steve.kaye

Yes, I did. Whichever patch introduced Dash was when I got my Hunter
back in the act.

> No. Distracting Shot does generate substantial aggro, but it is not like
> warrior Taunt, where it automatically puts you on top of the list. I've
> had
> to spend as many as 3 such shots to get a mob to change target.

I've found the same.

> Turning off growl and turning on cower is a couple of mouse clicks or a
> couple of keypresses...big whoop. I usually have my mouse in that area
> anyway for activating bite/claw; my pet has terrible "mana" management, so
> I do it for him.

> Oddly, I've never used Cower in an instance, and I frequently leave Growl
> on. Pet never gets any aggro that it isn't supposed to (well, there was
> one
> exception at the Maraudon falls, but growl had nothing to do with that).
>
> Pet is a highly useful offtank and good for collecting spare aggro that
> happens upon a squishie during the chaos of a fight. Having growl on means
> that the pet will do its job a lot faster.

This seems full of contradictions: your mouse is suitably placed for dealing
with bite/claw due to managing the pet's focus and yet you leave growl on
even though it wastes focus and you can choose to activate it at exactly the
time you want rather than wait for it to happen in the pet's own time. I'm
not saying you're not an experienced hunter as you obviously are, just that
I can't see the logic.

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Trying to find and activate Cower at that point (and DE-activate Growl),
> would
> be a whole lot less practical than just using the hunter's Distract shot,
> which
> instantly aggro's a monster onto you. But usually a better option at that
> point,
> is just to stop shooting and use Heal Pet for 5 seconds, and let him keep
> aggro. If the monster's such a badass that this isn't going to work, and
> your
> pet will just die and leave a too-much-life-left-to-kill-via-melee mob in
> your
> lap, then you'd best just cut your losses, kick in Aspect of the
> Cheetah/Pack,
> and get the hell out of Dodge while your pet gives his all for the cause.
> Pets
> are cheap, and resurrect easy.

It's pretty hard to get out of Dodge in an instance, the mobs are quite,
quite persistant. And you can't pet heal if you've no mana left.

It's rare to encounter a general situation which has one "best" solution.
That's the beauty and the flexibility of the hunter class, isn't it?

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> Trying to find and activate Cower at that point (and DE-activate Growl),
>> would
>> be a whole lot less practical than just using the hunter's Distract shot,
>> which
>> instantly aggro's a monster onto you. But usually a better option at that
>> point,
>> is just to stop shooting and use Heal Pet for 5 seconds, and let him keep
>> aggro. If the monster's such a badass that this isn't going to work, and your
>> pet will just die and leave a too-much-life-left-to-kill-via-melee mob in
>> your
>> lap, then you'd best just cut your losses, kick in Aspect of the
>> Cheetah/Pack,
>> and get the hell out of Dodge while your pet gives his all for the cause.
>> Pets
>> are cheap, and resurrect easy.
>
> It's pretty hard to get out of Dodge in an instance,

We weren't talking about an instance, just general use. And in an instance,
you have at least four other players, you're not soloing with your pet. If you
do end up in that situation, you're probably fuqued anyway :)

> the mobs are quite, quite persistant.

If you've played a hunter long enough to lose n00b status at it, you know
when to run for it and kick in your speed boosts *before* your pet dies and
they all end up in your lap. I don't care how persistent they are, they're not
going to catch you with Cheetah/Pack on, and a minimal headstart. They
do have their leashes on, and won't chase you forever. Or you Feign Death, if
you've managed to get yourself into a situation where that is no longer an
option.
Having played two hunters up to lvls 60 and 56, I can report that either of
these actions is quite infrequent in day to day play, when you know your char
and your pet and what both can do.

> And you can't pet heal if you've no mana left.

Obviously you don't try to heal pet, if you don't have enough mana left to
do so. But unless you're careless and wasteful of mana usage, this is hardly
ever a problem. It certainly isn't with my chars. In those very rare situations
where I feel it's necessary to heal my pet, I usually have plenty of mana to
run it twice in direct succession, and still have mana left to get off some more
magic shots with. Plus a major mana potion always at the ready, if needed.
If you're pet is dying in an instance where you're in a party with 4+ other
people,
then obviously you're not going to waste time and effort using heal-pet to try
to save it, you just want to help kill the mob(s) as quick as possible then
revive
him afterwards. He is just a peripheral there, and the other players are what
you
need to concentrate on keeping alive through maximizing your personal dps
delivered.

> It's rare to encounter a general situation which has one "best" solution.
> That's the beauty and the flexibility of the hunter class, isn't it?

Indeed.
-Marshall

> If you've played a hunter long enough to lose n00b status at it, you know
> when to run for it and kick in your speed boosts *before* your pet dies
> and
> they all end up in your lap. I don't care how persistent they are, they're
> not
> going to catch you with Cheetah/Pack on, and a minimal headstart. They
> do have their leashes on, and won't chase you forever.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest. I simply wanted to say that IME
the tactic proposed was valid and I didn't realise we were excluding
instances from the possible scenarios, why would we? And also IME, as a lvl
60 for a long time now, it's almost impossible for a non hunter to outrun
mobs in an instance unless the aim is to make it back through the instance
entrance. I've never yet seen an instance mob "on a leash", at least not a
useful one because it's rare to have the space in an instance to run
"forever".