Tape Controller installation failed

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Whenever I repair/update WindowsXp setup stops during the process
and reports taht Tape Controller installation failed.
I then have to skip the « Tape controller » installation.
Otherwise setup proceeds without any other request for
input. That appeared some months ago, probably after I
installed some software that required it, but most likely
is no longer present on my computer.

I cannot find « Tape Controller » in the registry, not in
any of the *.inf files in the folderWindows\Inf .

Anyone has an idea how that can be deleted, either from
the Installer folder, or otherise ?

"GF" <personne@videotron.cam> wrote in message
> Whenever I repair/update WindowsXp setup stops during the process
> and reports taht Tape Controller installation failed.
> I then have to skip the « Tape controller » installation.
> Otherwise setup proceeds without any other request for
> input. That appeared some months ago, probably after I
> installed some software that required it, but most likely
> is no longer present on my computer.
>
> I cannot find « Tape Controller » in the registry, not in
> any of the *.inf files in the folderWindows\Inf .
>
> Anyone has an idea how that can be deleted, either from
> the Installer folder, or otherise ?

Mine just did that on a recent repair install, and it never did it before.
The only new hardware I have is a SATA controller. And that appears under
SCSI and Raid in the device manager, and is working just fine. And there's
never been a tape controller in this computer, either.

As long as everything's working, I figure that I'm not going to worry much
about it, though.