News Tape Storage Shipments Increase 40% in 2021

plateLunch

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
So what kind of tape drives to they use?

This article made me look in my closet and I still have a QIC-40 and Travan tape drive along with some unopened cartridges. Just have to fire up my old Core 2 Duo machine and I should be back in business.

Reactions: aldan

spunner5

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Generally speaking "LTO" is the most common tape for most businesses. Real world capacities are considerably less than the "54TB" quoted, as compression is never as good and barely increases over the native capacity (i.e. LTO-9 = 18TB per cartridge), typically due to the fact that most data is already compressed. Also note that infrastructure needs to be upgraded as well to be able to reliably stream data to an LTO-9 drive without pause. New server, new SAS or Fibre HBA, etc., and the temp/humidity must be within limits, without sudden changes (i.e. <5% per hour on RH). Careful planning is required, as we all must realize that this is a thin-film, removable-medium that is susceptible to the world you run it in!

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
My main issue is that LTO is a Single-Reel type Tape Cassettes istead of classic Dual-Reel Type Cartridges like VHS/Audio Tape Cassettes of yester year.

There are so many fundamental issues with Single-Reel type Tape Cassettes should things go wrong compared to the easier to fix Dual-Reel Tape Cassettes.

TRENDING THREADS