Tapes replaced by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analyzerus

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Greetings humans,

I was wondering what was the best solution for backup storage. I know most companies use tapes but recently I've been hearing rumors about some changing from tapes to an unknown contender. What other products are being tested to replace that ancient technology? Seems to me that optical disks are too fragile, USB sticks too easy to lose, HDD unreliable, etc.

Thank you!

Solution
AFAIK Tapes are the go, with truly massive capacity tapes and good backup practices nothing can really beat it.
Some are probably trialing/using backup to the cloud. In a personal preference I would stick to tapes
Optical Disk too fragile?

Drop a disk from your desk, and a HDD, and see which "breaks" worse. My bet is the HDD.

HDD unreliable?

In my years of many HDD purchases (always going up in size), I've only have an issue with one: I bought it used form eBay (first mistake), and the colder winter winter "damaged" the drive during shipping.

All the servers at my work store data on HDD, and when they do a "clean-up" they burn the data to CD/DVD's, and store them in racks. When someone needs data that was burned, the system knows where the disk is, and retreives it to read. This is all done with robotics.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
AFAIK Tapes are the go, with truly massive capacity tapes and good backup practices nothing can really beat it.
Some are probably trialing/using backup to the cloud. In a personal preference I would stick to tapes

Solution

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
There are many on-site/offsite backup solutions that make effective tape replacements such as Dynamic Vault www.dynamicvault.com that include on-site disk backup with rollback capabilities, in-file deltas and off-site backup that can handle large quantities of data at a cost-savings to tapes when labor and off-site storage/rotation for tapes is factored in. Before long, private and public cloud backup solutions will replace tapes as the industry standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.