[SOLVED] Target temp question ,Gigabyte geforce 2060 super

puansaravanan

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
Hye,previously my GPU have high temperature 86 when gaming,and i change the back fan to exhaust fan the temp reduce to 83

and then i found out i can change target temp in gigabyte software,now i change it to 76,and now i can get below 80 temp when gaming

gW3knCB.png

My question is,will this 76 target temp damage my gpu in long term?or the fan?

Techware Forge M
3600x
GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 8G

Solution
But you can't do two exhaust because that stock cooler won't like air being robbed from it from the top. But you can still try putting one back fan and one top back fan and see what happens to cpu temps
Top-down air coolers don't follow the exact same rules as tower air does. Filling up the top and rear exhausts would actually be better here.
These coolers work best in chassis where there's a side intake over them - but that's not present here.
Hye,previously my GPU have high temperature 86 when gaming,and i change the back fan to exhaust fan the temp reduce to 83

and then i found out i can change target temp in gigabyte software,now i change it to 76,and now i can get below 80 temp when gaming

gW3knCB.png

My question is,will this 76 target temp damage my gpu in long term?or the fan?

Techware Forge M
3600x
GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ WINDFORCE OC 8G
It won't damage the GPU or fan, but it will restrict performance. What case do you have? And how many fans, where, as intake or exhaust?

Reactions: puansaravanan
Hye

Forge M

https://www.tecware.co/forgem 3 intake fan infront,1 exhaust fan at the back

In what way does it restrict performance?gps will drop?
what temp should i target
Basically, if you put a max temp, your GPU will function in a way to keep itself under that temp. More performance = higher temperature and more power usage.

Anything under 85° is fine under load.

I think the reason you have high temps is not because "bad" airflow but because there's too much air coming in than going out. I would suggest that you put one of the front fans in the rear top as exhaust. This way you'll have 2 Fans intake 2 fans exhaust. You need the same air coming in as going out, not all in and no out.

Edit: before you do that, what CPU cooler do you have?

puansaravanan

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
Basically, if you put a max temp, your GPU will function in a way to keep itself under that temp. More performance = higher temperature and more power usage.

Anything under 85° is fine under load.

I think the reason you have high temps is not because "bad" airflow but because there's too much air coming in than going out. I would suggest that you put one of the front fans in the rear top as exhaust. This way you'll have 2 Fans intake 2 fans exhaust. You need the same air coming in as going out, not all in and no out.

Edit: before you do that, what CPU cooler do you have?

im using 3600x stock cooler,wraith Spire

how about the target temp?should i increase it?

correct me if im wrong,but gpu temp will be depending on my target temp in aorus software
so how to check if i have better temp inside the case ,can u suggest me software or what to check

thank you for your help

im using 3600x stock cooler,wraith Spire

how about the target temp?should i increase it?

correct me if im wrong,but gpu temp will be depending on my target temp in aorus software
so how to check if i have better temp inside the case ,can u suggest me software or what to check

thank you for your help
It shows in the task manager. You can use msi afterburner/Riva tuner too, but those clash with Aorus engine, so uninstall Aorus engine first then do that.

Temp doesn't depend on target temp you set, max temp depends on that. For example I have a 275R airflow, 3 fans intake 2 exhaust. I have never gone above 70° under load on my GPU. Gigabyte 2070S Windforce. My max temp slider is all the way to the right. The higher your target temp is, the more it'll allow your GPU to utilize power.

I have never seen a Gigabyte card get that hot, so I'm thinking there's something wrong with your fan setup. Especially because it's winter (unless you live in the southern hemisphere, do you? What's your room temperature?)

But you can't do two exhaust because that stock cooler won't like air being robbed from it from the top. But you can still try putting one back fan and one top back fan and see what happens to cpu temps

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Top-down air coolers don't follow the exact same rules as tower air does. Filling up the top and rear exhausts would actually be better here.
These coolers work best in chassis where there's a side intake over them - but that's not present here.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
Ahhh. I knew they don't, but I thought filling up the top and rear would increase cpu Temps instead because those fans would just throw the extra air out.

@Prad_Bitt

With the gpu dumping its heat inside the chassis, that cpu cooler more or less uses that to 'cool' itself...
That fan pushes air down through the heatsink and it spreads in all directions. The faster that can get out, the better.
Makes sense. This is probably the only reason AIOs perform better a lot of times even though with testing air coolers are supposed to perform better

puansaravanan

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
It shows in the task manager. You can use msi afterburner/Riva tuner too, but those clash with Aorus engine, so uninstall Aorus engine first then do that.

Temp doesn't depend on target temp you set, max temp depends on that. For example I have a 275R airflow, 3 fans intake 2 exhaust. I have never gone above 70° under load on my GPU. Gigabyte 2070S Windforce. My max temp slider is all the way to the right. The higher your target temp is, the more it'll allow your GPU to utilize power.

I have never seen a Gigabyte card get that hot, so I'm thinking there's something wrong with your fan setup. Especially because it's winter (unless you live in the southern hemisphere, do you? What's your room temperature?)

I live in KL,Malaysia

room temp around 25-27

for now what should i do with the slider,is it okay for gpu with that temp?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Makes sense. This is probably the only reason AIOs perform better a lot of times even though with testing air coolers are supposed to perform better
Depends on the hardware, but usually, cpu air coolers > hybrid in price to performance. They tend to fall short with:
-Tiny form factor chassis; if something like an NH-L12S can't fit in there, air coolers should probably be skipped.
-Really high power cpus. You should already know what falls in that category.

@puansaravanan
Top fans all exhaust. Having an intake and exhaust up there like that will create an airflow loop, circulating some of the exhausted air back into the PC.

puansaravanan

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
Depends on the hardware, but usually, cpu air coolers > hybrid in price to performance. They tend to fall short with:
-Tiny form factor chassis; if something like an NH-L12S can't fit in there, air coolers should probably be skipped.
-Really high power cpus. You should already know what falls in that category.

@puansaravanan
Top fans all exhaust. Having an intake and exhaust up there like that will create an airflow loop, circulating some of the exhausted air back into the PC.
i see,thank you

your commend up there make me think,so all this while my cpu cooler using heat from GPU to "cool" itself

in that case,im thinking of buying new cooler for CPU,will that help?if yes what kind of cooler?something that can help to cool down the CPU,and in the same time cool down the case,does that thing exist?
or should i just buy case fan,which one better

Sorry i really dont know about cpu cooler,i dont pay much attention,because before this i read that stock cooler all good,unless you overclock

thank you for helping me

i see,thank you

your commend up there make me think,so all this while my cpu cooler using heat from GPU to "cool" itself

in that case,im thinking of buying new cooler for CPU,will that help?if yes what kind of cooler?something that can help to cool down the CPU,and in the same time cool down the case,does that thing exist?
or should i just buy case fan,which one better

Sorry i really dont know about cpu cooler,i dont pay much attention,because before this i read that stock cooler all good,unless you overclock

thank you for helping me
I agree with @Phaaze88. If you don't see Temps above 85, you don't need to change the stock cooler. On my 3600 and wraith stealth, it reached 95 in PUBG, so I upgraded to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB, which is the best cheapest cooler imo, $35 only. For $60 you can get an Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo. Or a Noctua NH-U12S Chromax for around the same price. The Arctic has better performance though

puansaravanan

Prominent
Sep 12, 2020
The stock cooler for the 3600X is good.
Unless you're seeing 85C or higher load thermals, I see no real need to change it. 80C is normal, and right where Ryzen 3000 and later stop pursuing higher core frequencies.
For now, focus on improving airflow through additional exhausts.
I agree with @Phaaze88. If you don't see Temps above 85, you don't need to change the stock cooler. On my 3600 and wraith stealth, it reached 95 in PUBG, so I upgraded to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB, which is the best cheapest cooler imo, $35 only. For $60 you can get an Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo. Or a Noctua NH-U12S Chromax for around the same price. The Arctic has better performance though

Hye ,bought 3 in 1 fan,and this is my current fan setup

In9Elrh.png

add 2 fans exhaust fan on top,just like you guys suggest

and i have 1 extra fan ,so i put it below GPU ,blowing air into the GPU

wI2f7bl.jpg

What is the proper way to measure gpu temperature,before and after this extra fan? i tried afterburn,while playing cyberpunk,98% gpu usage,with or without im getting same result. 71 max.
I also test it with furmark,83 max,with or without this extra fan,so i really dont know if it effective or i test the temp in wrong way.

for the fan below the GPU,will it help to cool down the GPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is the proper way to measure gpu temperature,before and after this extra fan? i tried afterburn,while playing cyberpunk,98% gpu usage,with or without im getting same result. 71 max.
I also test it with furmark,83 max,with or without this extra fan,so i really dont know if it effective or i test the temp in wrong way.

for the fan below the GPU,will it help to cool down the GPU?
Boost clocks on these cards are temperature sensitive. The better the cooling, the higher boost clocks it will sustain - bar power limits.
You will have to monitor that in game; synthetic benchmarks don't display this very well.