[SOLVED] Tariffs causing high(er) PSU prices?

WildCard999

Titan
Is it me or does it appear that PSU prices, at least in the US, have risen a bit but also there was a few times of the year when the prices would go down but for some reason for like the last couple of months prices have stayed the same. Is this an effect of the tariffs or something else?

Other hardware doesn't seem to be affected.

Solution
at least in the US

The tariffs should only actually impact the US, Canada and (probably) Mexico - as products enter port via the US.
In other regions, there should be no direct impact on cost as a result of US imposed tariffs. However, companies may elect to offset some of the increase by increasing MSRP in other countries.

A lot depends on the date a product entered a port. So, for stock that's been sitting around en masse for a while, tariffs don't have to apply as the entered port pre-hikes (although some manufacturers or retailers are bumping prices regardless).

Any high turnover product, with constant shipments entering, will almost certainly see tariffs hit them and prices increase as a result.

A lot of...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
at least in the US

The tariffs should only actually impact the US, Canada and (probably) Mexico - as products enter port via the US.
In other regions, there should be no direct impact on cost as a result of US imposed tariffs. However, companies may elect to offset some of the increase by increasing MSRP in other countries.

A lot depends on the date a product entered a port. So, for stock that's been sitting around en masse for a while, tariffs don't have to apply as the entered port pre-hikes (although some manufacturers or retailers are bumping prices regardless).

Any high turnover product, with constant shipments entering, will almost certainly see tariffs hit them and prices increase as a result.

A lot of manufacturer's actually ramped up supply ahead of tariffs, making sure there was volume sitting in a warehouse already through the port of entry. Newer product launches, or later product shipments don't have that luxury - and products that did have the luxury are probably seeing supply running low/dry.

Equally, on a retailer front, if they have say 10 of a given product, with a new batch anticipated soon - prices of the product are likely going up with the new batch.... So the price of the 'product' overall is up. Those 10 will be sold at the higher price, as they're not going to differentiate on their site/in their store of what came in before/after tariffs.

Reactions: WildCard999
Solution

WildCard999

Titan
Interesting, it's just odd to me to see Corsair CX(M) pricing almost the same or higher (before MIR) then higher end Corsair & Seasonic Focus Gold models. I think it's been at least 3 months since I've seen a grey label CX 550W+ under $50 which was ideal for budget systems and some got as low as $25 after MIR.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Interesting, it's just odd to me to see Corsair CX(M) pricing almost the same or higher (before MIR) then higher end Corsair & Seasonic Focus Gold models. I think it's been at least 3 months since I've seen a grey label CX 550W+ under $50 which was ideal for budget systems and some got as low as $25 after MIR.

I think the MSRP on the CX550 is $59.99.... Just retailed had it marked down to ~$50 and rebates helped.
It's not vastly more expensive now than it was at launch... but definitely seeing a higher starting point & less/no rebates now.

I haven't looked recently, but looking now it seems the SeaSonic units are on the rise too... 550-650W Focus+ units are now in the ~$80 range. It'll probably take time to level out, as some stock will already be in the states vs new incoming. Volume-wise, I believe SeaSonic only move a small % of the volume something like a CX550 does.

Unfortunately, stuff that doesn't (and shouldn't) move, like junk "750W" units from Raidmax etc will probably look even more appealing when the good quality stuffs prices go up as a result of new stock/tariffs.... and the cheap crap is still cheap, and didn't get the tariff hike.

WildCard999

Titan
I think the MSRP on the CX550 is $59.99.... Just retailed had it marked down to ~$50 and rebates helped.
$60 isn't bad and I believe you were right before but now it's a bit higher.
GwzqRe8.png

WildCard999

Titan
Unfortunately, stuff that doesn't (and shouldn't) move, like junk "750W" units from Raidmax etc will probably look even more appealing when the good quality stuffs prices go up as a result of new stock/tariffs.... and the cheap crap is still cheap, and didn't get the tariff hike.
This is my bigger concern as we'll probably see an increase in build threads that are pairing something like the 2080S to a 650W VS but at least it appears the majority of people who respond here know the difference and could recommend something better or rework the build to fit a better quality unit.

WildCard999

Titan
Tariffs will certainly affect products that have been siting on the shelf. The prices will all go up.
The same happens when oil prices go up. The price for fuel(already in the gas tanks)at the local fuel station immediately go up.
Well gas usually goes up in the summer due to more travel and then goes back down (not usually to the original price but a bit closer), hopefully PSU's will follow suit.

The fact of the matter is the American consumer pays the tariffs.

Since our suppliers in China have to pay the 15% tariff, they pass that cost adder to the importer (Corsair, EVGA, etc.). Obviously, that's pretty much your entire profit margin, so that has to be passed along to the consumer.

The 15% has been in place for some time and a lot of inventory shipped prior to the 15% tariff has all but dried up.

I wouldn't worry about cheap stuff looking more appealing because it's older inventory. That product was never really in the market in any kind of large quantity and actually sells swiftly because of the price (remember: Most consumers don't actually read PSU reviews or participate in tech forums). Our guess is that those odd ball brands will decide not to import into the U.S. anymore because of the tariffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WildCard999

DSzymborski

Titan
Despite what Trump says about China paying the tariffs, the fact of the matter is the American consumer pays the tariffs.

Since our suppliers in China have to pay the 15% tariff, they pass that cost adder to the importer (Corsair, EVGA, etc.). Obviously, that's pretty much your entire profit margin, so that has to be passed along to the consumer.

The 15% has been in place for some time and a lot of inventory shipped prior to the 15% tariff has all but dried up.

I wouldn't worry about cheap stuff looking more appealing because it's older inventory. That product was never really in the market in any kind of large quantity and actually sells swiftly because of the price (remember: Most consumers don't actually read PSU reviews or participate in tech forums). Our guess is that those odd ball brands will decide not to import into the U.S. anymore because of the tariffs.

"15% tariff on a $20 power supply? That's like $3, which is like 300% what we paid to source the components from a flooded factory in Guangzhong!"

Reactions: jonnyguru
"15% tariff on a $20 power supply? That's like $3, which is like 300% what we paid to source the components from a flooded factory in Guangzhong!"

You'd be surprised! You know the 230V only PSUs? That doide bridge rectifier saves less than $1. That's why when Corsair upgrade the VS, they said "screw it. We'll make up for that dollar in volume by being able to ship that PSU into any region."

But now with the tariffs, all the non-US based component companies have decided to not even bother with new products in North America and are expanding their product offerings of "230V only" PSUs. Sure, some regions like Taiwan and Japan use < 120V, but they tend to have their own brands or the OEMs that go direct to market.

An Elite bulk cap costs 40 cents less than a Teapo. Which is 80 cents less than a Jap brand. The nickle and dimes that make up a PSU is amazing.