Task manager not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottlocks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I am running Windows 8 64Bit on a Samsung 840 SSD on a notebook(Asus K55A) Just recently, the task manager opens, but does not update its self, driving me crazy when i go to see if a program is actively working(CPU and RAM usage).

Its opening. allows me to go to diffrent tabs and such, but nothing updates, i cant force close anything. I did install something(forget the name) uninstalled it, thinking it could be it, but no. IT has worked till now.

Solution
One thing you could try short of doing a Refresh, is using the sfc /scannow command. Open an elevated command prompt the same way as dodger described above, but type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. Reboot, and try task manager again. If it still doesn't update and let you close anything, a refresh might be the quickest way to resolve it.
Sounds like you'll have to Refresh Windows as your OS is corrupt. This will preserve your data but uninstall programs you've added unless they are from the Store. One thing to try is chkdsk to see if it can locate and repair files which are causing the problem. Does the fault appear when you've 1st booted into Windows? Reason I'm asking that is because there have been widespread problems with recovering from Sleep Mode in Win 8.
To run chkdsk
Winkey plus X, open cmd prompt (Admin) and type chkdsk /f /r (note spaces preceding /)
Type y and enter to run chkdsk when you restart Windows.

One thing you could try short of doing a Refresh, is using the sfc /scannow command. Open an elevated command prompt the same way as dodger described above, but type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. Reboot, and try task manager again. If it still doesn't update and let you close anything, a refresh might be the quickest way to resolve it.

Solution

Scottlocks

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
i did both of these with no advail to the issue, though i did forget i installed Blender yesterday, uninstalled that and it works, i was tempted to do a refresh, but im at school at the moment, so it would be harder for me to get all of the needed software back.

Why does this program do this? its one of the oddest things.

sxrxrnr

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
This did not work. I am in task manager trying to shutdown norton. Cannot shut it down. I have rebooted machine several times, but reboots with this piece of crap product still running on this piece of crap operating system*win 8*. Will be returning machine to Costco,,,,thank god for 90 day trial. What a miserable joke. And I though os X mtn lion was a kick in the teeth. Wonder if I can find a win xp to run on this new Asus? Have had nothing but problems with this system Now that Norton has locked up my system and cannot force quite, windows mail will not run. At least with win xp, you shutdown the system and reboot, you are presented with a clean system and you can load any programs that you want,,,,like a dose of ex lax to purge the system. Win 8 no friggin way. How do you spell junk and a waste of time.

sxrxrnr

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Found this url to allow me to do a clean boot of win 8. Did this and cleared out all the crap with Norton which was hanging my system and allowing nothing else to load,,,,ie windows mail(another joke by the way). Anyhow back on the air with this fix. Just wasted a couple more hours.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

While at it, I stumble over this link,,,,which says it all better than I can. Warning, do not listen if you have sens sensitive ears and/or no sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Qo_2I0NvQ

Says pretty much all there is to say.

Steve Stevens

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Have the exact same problem except that the issue only occurs when logged in as one particular user. On other user accounts on the same machine task manager operation is normal.

Steve Stevens

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Have the exact same problem except that the issue only occurs when logged in as one particular user. On other user accounts on the same machine task manager operation is normal.

Steve Stevens

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

ewittke

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Or simply open task manager, and under the menu item VIEW, click on UPDATE SPEED, and change from PAUSED to NORMAL. That solved my problem.

(opps, sorry, I see someone else already posted this).

Sep 10, 2013
I don't know if it applies to this issue. I've found when running Avast antivirus in Win 8, the Task Manager will open then close unless you change Trusted Processes in Behavior Sheild to allow ' C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe '.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS