[SOLVED] Task Manager not showing GPU memory

Nov 2, 2022
I have recently installed an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card to my PC and noticed three strange things in the Task Manager (Windows 10, no update pending, all NVIDIA drivers installed):

1) Windows has skipped "GPU 1" and named the NVIDIA card as "GPU 2". (Not that it bothers me, but I would expect a "GPU 1" after the "GPU 0", which is an Intel UHD Graphics 750)

2) No memory information is being shown for the NVIDIA card. (I have checked in NVIDIA Control Panel and all the dedicated, shared and total memories are shown correctly)

3) No dedicated GPU memory information is being shown for the Intel integrated card.

Is there any thing I could do to solve these issues?

Thanks for your help.

bAHJBUP.png

xBp3iIw.png

f13Ibok.png

TOqxfHH.png

Solution
What shows in Dxdiag?

• right click start
  • choose run
  • type dxdiag and press enter
  • click save all information.
  • name file something obvious
  • upload to a file sharing website and show link here.
You might need to run ddu to remove the IGPU drivers before windows will realise you only have 1 GPU, not 2.

I don't know why its showing as GPU2, that mainly only happens on SLI systems.

2) No memory information is being shown for the NVIDIA card. (I have checked in NVIDIA Control Panel and all the dedicated, shared and total memories are shown correctly)
I think that is tied into fact its not showing...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What GPU were you on prior to the RTX3090? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Did you use DDU to remove your prior GPU's drivers, before you dropped in the RTX3090? Make and model + BIOS version for your motherboard?

Nov 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What GPU were you on prior to the RTX3090? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Did you use DDU to remove your prior GPU's drivers, before you dropped in the RTX3090? Make and model + BIOS version for your motherboard?

Hi Lutfij, thanks for your reply.

I didnt have any dedicated GPU prior to the RTX3090, only the integrated Intel card (Intel UHD Graphics 750).

My PSU: 750 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold (1,5 years old)

My motherboard: ASUS TUF Z590-Plus WIFI 90MB16C0-M0EAY0, BIOS AMI 0405 15.01.2021

I didnt use any DDU, because I didn`t have any dedicated GPU card prior to the RTX3090.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What shows in Dxdiag?

• right click start
  • choose run
You might need to run ddu to remove the IGPU drivers before windows will realise you only have 1 GPU, not 2.

I think that is tied into fact its not showing anything as GPU1. I can see problems like that in SLI systems.

3) No dedicated GPU memory information is being shown for the Intel integrated card.
mainly as its part of the CPU. Its memory is only used if the IGPU is being used. its memory likely shows as the hardware reserved on the memory tab. its unlikely the igpu ever need 31gb of shared memory lol. igpu gets access to half system memory, good thing it doesn't take what it doesn't use.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 2, 2022
What shows in Dxdiag?

• right click start
  • choose run

I think that is tied into fact its not showing anything as GPU1. I can see problems like that in SLI systems.

Hi Colif,

thanks for your reply. Through saving all information from dxdiag I could find out where the problems 1) and 2) were coming from.

As I am using two monitors connected to the HDMI and DisplayPort outputs from my motherboard, Windows kind of assigns one instance of the Intel card to each of them (GPU0 and GPU1, the last one being "hidden"), so that the NVIDIA card is shown as GPU2.

By connecting one of the monitors to the NVIDIA card HDMI output, I get the following on Task Manager:

TvfUg6q.png

mainly as its part of the CPU. Its memory is only used if the IGPU is being used. its memory likely shows as the hardware reserved on the memory tab. its unlikely the igpu ever need 31gb of shared memory lol. igpu gets access to half system memory, good thing it doesn't take what it doesn't use.

All right, thanks!

Reactions: Colif