[SOLVED] Task Manager says 1 of 8 slots used 16 gb while CPU-Z sees 32 gb in dual.

Mar 10, 2020
Hey there,
So my bios states that my system memory is 16gb while I have 2 x 16 sticks in each of the slots as the manual suggests. As I have 8 memory lanes I tried every config known to mankind so... I have also done almost every troubleshoot ive seen recently on the forums like bios updating, cmos removal thing, bios resetting. I don't know what to do because my Mobo is no longer warranted and I am wondering if a clean Win Os might solve this?
cs98cTE.png

Zri1hjw.png

Rn9zhlc.png

I7 7820x (NO OC)
MSI X299 M7 ACK (Mobo)
RTX 2060
2 x 16GB HyperX 2666MHz

Solution
CPU-Z seems to be reporting the correct memory details.

Capacity at 32 GB is correct. And memory is being run in dual channel mode (which is usually wanted), as shown in the top left screenshot.

The remaining CPU-Z screenshots also appear to show correct memory details, 16 GB memory modules running at 1333 MHz (clock frequency) and 2666 MHz (MT/s) effective memory frequency.

The "dual" rank in these other CPU-Z screenshots means that there are two lots of memory chips (memory IC's) on each of of each memory module.

Task Manager is mis-reporting the memory information.

Is the OS Windows 10? If so, there have been occasions when W 10 does not quite work properly with hardware. Solutions -

1. under msconfig, boot, advanced...
CPU-Z seems to be reporting the correct memory details.

Capacity at 32 GB is correct. And memory is being run in dual channel mode (which is usually wanted), as shown in the top left screenshot.

The remaining CPU-Z screenshots also appear to show correct memory details, 16 GB memory modules running at 1333 MHz (clock frequency) and 2666 MHz (MT/s) effective memory frequency.

The "dual" rank in these other CPU-Z screenshots means that there are two lots of memory chips (memory IC's) on each of of each memory module.

Task Manager is mis-reporting the memory information.

Is the OS Windows 10? If so, there have been occasions when W 10 does not quite work properly with hardware. Solutions -

1. under msconfig, boot, advanced options, check that the Maximum memory check box is UNCHECKED.
  2. try updating Windows 10 (if possible).
  3. re-install Windows 10, but do a thorough wipe of the boot drive before re-installing Windows.
  4. in the worst case, if the mis-information as reported by the Task Manager is annoying, then either don't use the TM (for memory details) or install a legacy OS such as Windows 7.

Solution
Mar 10, 2020
Hey So I just reinstalled Win 10 Pro for the 3rd time today and TM still has trouble reading 2 filled slots. Do u think it's a problem with the motherboard or CPU?. Because at this point I don't know what to do. I am getting the ram checked out tmr but idk if thats gonna help at all or not.

Should I maybe contact MSI to see what they have to say about this situation?