[SOLVED] Task manager showing only 12gb ram despite 16 installed

Mar 6, 2020
Here's a picture showing (in order) task manager performance tab, HWinfo then finally resource manager. I ran a memtest and received 0 errors, and I have a gigabyte x79-up4 with 4x4gb ram sticks all set up in the correct slots.

bGHVAf2.png

Task manager shows 3 of 8 memory slots used, HWinfo says otherwise. However does mention "Triple Channel" mode, this is my biggest lead.

As far as I can remember it's always displayed 12 gb in system info/taskmanager, I forgot I had purchased 16gb for this pc until recently when I was interested in more ram, at which point I downloaded HWinfo to investigate. I don't know the next step at this point and I would be very grateful for some pointers ( :

Solution
Your picture show
F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

With 8 memory slots, it appears your using 4 kits of memory. Only one kit of memory is guaranteed to be compatible.

You can make any kind of combinations you want, but there are no guarantees as to if and how they will work if the system boots up.

Your results are typical of such combinations - multiple kits.
Your picture show
F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

With 8 memory slots, it appears your using 4 kits of memory. Only one kit of memory is guaranteed to be compatible.

You can make any kind of combinations you want, but there are no guarantees as to if and how they will work if the system boots up.

Your results are typical of such combinations - multiple kits.

Solution