Every time I open the task manager, it stays open a few seconds and closes by
itself. It will not stay open.

If the CPU % bar shows on the task bar, when I move my mouse over to it, it
closes.

Why is this, and how can this be corrected?

Hi,

You will have to remove the virus that is causing this, it is a well-known
symptom. My suggestion would be to download stinger from
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/, then restart in Safe mode and run it. Don't
bother doing it in normal mode, as the virus will be active and not allow
removal (if it's detected at all, usually they can mask themselves).

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

You may want to also employ Doug Knox's emergency tools in the interim:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"minofmus" <minofmus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I open the task manager, it stays open a few seconds and closes
> by
> itself. It will not stay open.
>
> If the CPU % bar shows on the task bar, when I move my mouse over to it,
> it
> closes.
>
> Why is this, and how can this be corrected?

Hi

Have you run a virus check on your system recently?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"minofmus" <minofmus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I open the task manager, it stays open a few seconds and closes
> by
> itself. It will not stay open.
>
> If the CPU % bar shows on the task bar, when I move my mouse over to it,
> it
> closes.
>
> Why is this, and how can this be corrected?

TRENDING THREADS