[SOLVED] Task using 12gb (out of 32gb) of memory is taking up 70% of memory?

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I have 32gb of memory, and task manager shows 32gb of memory. The odd thing is I have a task (Chrome) using 12gb, and task manager says it's using 68% of memory, and another task using 2gb of memory that says it's using 12% of memory (overall I'm using around 87%). I don't understand, this seems to be reflecting that I only have 16gb of memory, but task manager clearly says I have 32? Any ideas on what's going on here?

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.,

Include RAM configuration: modules and slots.

Have you recently made any hardware changes or configuration changes? I.e., just added or changed RAM?

======

Typo?

"but task manager clearly says I have 12? " Second to last sentence - did you mean 32 there or did you originally mean 12 in "and task manager shows 32gb of memory" in the first sentence?

Try "CTRL" + Pause keys.

What RAM is being reported in the Basic Information screen?

Open Powershell

Run the following Get cmdlet

Get-CimInstance win32_physicalmemory | Format-Table Manufacturer,Banklabel,Configuredclockspeed,Devicelocator,Capacity,Serialnumber -autosize

You should be able...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.,

Include RAM configuration: modules and slots.

Have you recently made any hardware changes or configuration changes? I.e., just added or changed RAM?

======

Typo?

"but task manager clearly says I have 12? " Second to last sentence - did you mean 32 there or did you originally mean 12 in "and task manager shows 32gb of memory" in the first sentence?

Try "CTRL" + Pause keys.

What RAM is being reported in the Basic Information screen?

Open Powershell

Run the following Get cmdlet

Get-CimInstance win32_physicalmemory | Format-Table Manufacturer,Banklabel,Configuredclockspeed,Devicelocator,Capacity,Serialnumber -autosize

You should be able to copy the line above and then paste it in at the Powershell PS prompt.

References:

https://sid-500.com/2017/07/05/powe...anufacturer-speed-serial-number-and-capacity/

https://community.spiceworks.com/ho...-with-powershell-on-windows-operating-systems

Solution