Taskbar and system functions randomly stop working, needs reboot by power button

cloudropis

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
This started two days ago. I'd be playing or watching a video and suddenly notice the volume slider (by clicking on the volume icon in the taskbar) wouldn't come up at all. Then I'd try doing something else like click some other icon on the taskbar or try to call up task manager and nothing would happen.

The weird thing is that none of the other things I was doing before noticing stopped working: the first time I was browsing stuff on Chrome with discord in the background, discord still functioned regularly and I could still do stuff on the browser while wondering why the heck the task manager wouldn't come up. The second time I was playing, still with discord in the background, and both game and discord didn't crap out or give errors. I wasn't getting any errors, freezes, crashes or anything like that, system functions just refused to work (there was one problem though: when this happened while I was on my browser, new pages or videos would load up infinitely like when there's no connection). I'd turn off the PC by power button and would still get no errors or warnings when booting up again.

I have a pretty beefy gaming rig, I scanned my PC for malware finding nothing, I ran a chkdsk finding no errors and crystaldiskinfo told me status for both my ssd and hdd was good. What could be causing this?

Solution
See if this helps

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its complete, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC cleans system files, DISM cleans the image which contains the files SFC uses to compare, if SFC found corruption it couldn't fix, re run it after dism and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its complete, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC cleans system files, DISM cleans the image which contains the files SFC uses to compare, if SFC found corruption it couldn't fix, re run it after dism and restart PC

Solution