Taskbar becomes unresponsive after playing BF1

rickhal

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone else having an issue where the taskbar in Windows 10 (latest build) becomes unresponsive after a session of BF1? The only way out of it is to hit control alt delete and use the login screen to restart the system. And there are times only a complete shutdown will resolve it. I suspect it is a Windows32 related issue with regards to the desktop. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is seeing this.

Solution
Run Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what your system is doing.

Then slide the window(s) to one side and play BF1.

Watch what changes and does not "go back" when the BF1 session ends.

Failing that, open Event Viewer and look for error codes or warnings that occur just before or at the time of ending the BF1 session.

Watch carefully and you will likely identify the culprit(s). Could be some combination of things; i.e. - "perfect storm" involving BF1.

Ralston18

Titan
Run Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what your system is doing.

Then slide the window(s) to one side and play BF1.

Watch what changes and does not "go back" when the BF1 session ends.

Failing that, open Event Viewer and look for error codes or warnings that occur just before or at the time of ending the BF1 session.

Watch carefully and you will likely identify the culprit(s). Could be some combination of things; i.e. - "perfect storm" involving BF1.

Solution

rickhal

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
I have been a long time Windows user and find that the Event Viewer error codes aren't usually even understood by Microsoft. I suspect it is something to do with shell32 or the desktop.ini. But, I will try the first step you suggest. Thanks.

rickhal

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

rickhal

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. However, it is very difficult to observe what changes take place with the system. As there are so many tasks that Windows 10 is processing all at once. So, I was not able to utilize this suggestion. However, the issue has cleared up on it's own. I suspect an issue with system DLL libraries. The task bar now works as it should. However one recurring issue is that the screen saver does not work after playing BF1 (haven't tested whether this issue appears with BF4 or older versions). So, that leads me to suspect a System32 or System issue involving whatever DLL handles the desktop.

Ralston18

Titan
Keep an eye on things. Consider limiting what all is started at boot time to reduce all the processing going on.

You have found a good clue so the key is to discover some change or action that happens or stops happening should the task bar become unresponsive again.

rickhal

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

rickhal

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks. Generally this gaming rig runs pretty smoothly. No problems usually. The only problems occur when I run BF1. I have found that BF1.exe crashes somewhat frequently as of late. Could be the updates. Could be DirectX 12 (although, when it has a problem Windows lets me know), or it could be system directory issue. For some reason I cannot run CHKDSK /F (UEFI bios and a SSD drive. Could be the way Windows partitioned the drive. Which is more of a suspicion than anything else). But, it doesn't happen often enough to be a big irritation....yet. LOL.