peter

Please help!
My computer works fine before. But since yesterday, opened programs don't
appear in the taskbar. No matter what program it is. Could anybody help me
out?
Thanks a lot.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Peter wrote:
> Please help!
> My computer works fine before. But since yesterday, opened programs don't
> appear in the taskbar. No matter what program it is. Could anybody help me
> out?
> Thanks a lot.

Run the edit on Kelly's site, line 420, "Programs Aren't Minimized in
the Taskbar" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Read the top of the page for info on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My computer works fine before. But since yesterday, opened programs
> don't appear in the taskbar. No matter what program it is.

Check your system for malware and use the system restore tool.

--
d-d

kelly

Hi Sir Detlev,

Do you have any particulars on mind? As in my findings this always has had
to do with Media Player updates. :eek:)

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

> Hi Sir Detlev,
>
> Do you have any particulars on mind? As in my findings this always
> has had to do with Media Player updates. :eek:)

Hi there Lady Kelly,

I have nothing particular on mind. This problem has been reported
pretty often and it may be caused by different things, eg.

- Greeting Card software (sort of malware)
- Other poor software http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139727

In addition, I cannot retrace any Media Player update problems. There
is the latest WMP10 version installed on all of my systems with all
available critical and optional updates. No problems here, so there
might be another (existing) problem causing the taskbar buttons to
disappear when installing an update. Since the OP didn't mention any
update ("out of the blue"), scanning the system for malware should be
the first step. If malware has been found, neither a System Restore
nor your .vbs script (line 240) will be the adequate remedy because
that system is *compromised* in that case.

XOXO,

--
d-d

peter

Thanks, that solved the problem.

"Rock" wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > Please help!
> > My computer works fine before. But since yesterday, opened programs don't
> > appear in the taskbar. No matter what program it is. Could anybody help me
> > out?
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> Run the edit on Kelly's site, line 420, "Programs Aren't Minimized in
> the Taskbar" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> Read the top of the page for info on running the edit.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Rock wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
>> Please help!
>> My computer works fine before. But since yesterday, opened programs
>> don't appear in the taskbar. No matter what program it is. Could
>> anybody help me out?
>> Thanks a lot.
>

> Run the edit on Kelly's site, line 420, "Programs Aren't Minimized in
> the Taskbar" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> Read the top of the page for info on running the edit.

You're welcome. I see you found the edit even though I transposed the
numbers. Should be line 240. The thanks goes to Kelly for the edit,
and a great site.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

kelly

Hi Rock,

Funny how the mind works....I do that so often. Even with a number on a
piece of paper to copy over. The only thing worse I can think of at the
moment is when the number would come to one's age. But then again, when
this happens to me, that is probably as old as I seem to be. :eek:(

--

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Rock wrote:
>
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>>> Please help!
>>> My computer works fine before. But since yesterday, opened programs
>>> don't appear in the taskbar. No matter what program it is. Could
>>> anybody help me out?
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>

>> Run the edit on Kelly's site, line 420, "Programs Aren't Minimized in the
>> Taskbar" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>
>> Read the top of the page for info on running the edit.
>>

> You're welcome. I see you found the edit even though I transposed the
> numbers. Should be line 240. The thanks goes to Kelly for the edit, and
> a great site.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

kelly

Thanks for the reply, SD.....

These types of posts always have my interest and in this case in particular
the MVP who responded, too. <w>

XOXO

--

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, SD.....

You're most welcome, Lady Kelly.

> These types of posts always have my interest and in this case in
> particular the MVP who responded, too. <w>

LOL! ;)

XOXO

--
d-d