James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to help a neighbor who has an eMachine running WinXP [home]. I'm
not overly familiar with XP [I use Win2000]. Suddenly, her Taskbar is too
wide - like two rows wide. She has only about 5 [little] icons in the
SysTray [aka: Notification Area] - and 4 small icons in Quick Launch.

Problem is: the only way to get the Taskbar 'width' back to the normal one
row, is to remove the Quick Launch icons. When I regain the normal width,
and put the 4 Quick Launch icons back, the Taskbar gets double-wide. This
occurs with no programs minimized - only the SysTray icons and the Quick
Launch icons present.

Observations: When QL icons are present, the SysTray icons are 'bunched
up' - not spread out. When QL icons are removed, SysTray icons are spread
out as normal. I've right-clicked on taskbar and gone to 'Properties' and
tried all sorts of things. I've tried selecting small icons. No matter what
I do, I'm unable to get her
taskbar back to 'normal.'

Help!

James

You can 'drag' the top edge of the QL Toolbar, up or down, with your mouse
to resize it vertically. The size of the systray and quick launch icon
areas, may be adjusted by placing the mouse pointer over the vertical
dividing bar at the edge of each (you will not see this by the systray if
you are not using the "hide inactive icons" feature....check this by right
clicking a vacant area of the toolbar, Properties, Taskbar tab, look at the
checkbox at the bottom of the window). Also, you can adjust the size of
the QL icons.....
right click a vacant area of the Desktop, Properties, Appearance tab,
Advanced button and (using the dropdown 'Items:') select Caption Buttons and
then adjust the size, in pixels. Not sure if this answers your
issue....but, hope so.
Heirloom, old and lernt that lately