Taskmgr.exe High CPU Usage.

grah

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Windows XP SP3
AMD Athlon X2 64 4200+
2GB Ram

Hi all,

After starting up my PC as normal this morning I noticed it was a little slow so I immediately brought up the Task Manager and noticed that taskmgr.exe was using around 12% CPU thus slowing my PC down.

I then opened up the program Process Explorer to see if I could find out a little more information on this.

At first taskmgr.exe was not to be found in Process Explorer so I opened up the Task Manager itself an then it appeared in Process Explorer. I then looked under threads (I have no idea what this is but seemed to remember a while back to look here for more info) and saw 3 processes for taskmgr.exe, 2 of which were using hardly any cpu and then the one below.

taskmgr.exe+0x5944 which is now using around 30% CPU.

I thought at first it could be Avira AV which I uninstalled but the problem still persisted, I have since reinstalled a new version of Avira. It doesn't seem to be link to Comodo Firewall either. The only new programs which I installed since this probelm occured was Wise Registry Cleaner and Sim City 4.

I am very careful with my security setup and would be surprised if this was due to some kind of virus/malware, but this probelm is very annoying. I have not as of yet done a scan with Malware Bytes or Avira as I am wondering if someone has any experience of this before I perform any scans.

I have tried to solve the problem myself and even checking out for solutions on this site but now I am at a loss, plus I am not the most computer savvy either.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

Grah.

EDIT:

Also in Safe Mode the problem goes away which leads me to believe it's maybe a startup program. Not really sure though, for only a 15% CPU usage it's really slowing down my PC.

Dragoic

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Could you take a screenshots of the task manager while it is having this issue. Also could you take a screenshot where you have sort CPU usage from high to low and one for memory usage too.

grah

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Hi Dragoic, sorry for the wait.

Hope these are as requested.

Also, taskmgr.exe is now around the 15% mark.

grah

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
OK I don't even think this problem is caused by the task manager. My computer feels very sluggish even when task manager isn't running, Process Explorer shows the PC at around 97% idle, so I am not not sure what is causing this sluggishness. RAM usage is very low on idle and the only other thing I can think of is indeed malware/virus maybe. Anyways apologies for the misdirection with regards to the thread title.

Grah.

grah

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Thanks ahnilated I'll try another scan tonight.

Anyways, I think this may be an issue with DirectX, none of my DirectX Features are available for some reason.

Can an Mod close this thread please so I can create a new post in the relevant forum?

Thanks.