Taylanator is RIGHT!

G

Not so much in his personal attack on the writers, but certainly in his point about what the real story is here. The real headline for the article should be "P4 Performs like crap at 3 gigahertz!". I was shocked to see that the P4 running 50% faster performs only 10-20% better, at best. And this was never even mentioned in the article. Unbelievable! This certainly adds credence to AMD's claims that clock speed is no longer a valid basis for cpu performance comparison. It is obvious that an Athlon running at 3 ghz would (and will) absolutely destroy a P4 at 3 ghz.

FatBurger

Illustrious
No need to create another account so you can pat yourself on the back...

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was shocked to see that the P4 running 50% faster performs only 10-20% better, at best.
why would you think the relationship would be linear? see my post in the other thread.
It is obvious that an Athlon running at 3 ghz would (and will) absolutely destroy a P4 at 3 ghz.
agreed...don't remember anyone saying otherwise...

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

G

And why would you think that it should not be linear? Yes, I saw your post and it does not hold water. Your analogy with ram is completely invalid, like comparing apples and oranges. The measure of a truly high performing cpu is the degree of linearity of performance with increased cycles and the P4 fails miserably.

Love like you've never been hurt. Work like you don't need money. Dance like no one is watching.

G

Huh?

Love like you've never been hurt. Work like you don't need money. Dance like no one is watching.

G

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. The pot calls the kettle black.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The measure of a truly high performing cpu is the degree of linearity of performance with increased cycles and the P4 fails miserably.

Remember that a CPU's clock frequency is determined not only by the FSB, but by the multiplier. THG was only able to modify one of these two (the FSB). Processors coming out of Intel will have a modified multiplier, as well as (soon, I hope) moving to a 133 bus.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I agree. I missed that post the first time.

G

Ok, just one problem. A cpu is oblivious to the combination of multiplier and fsb used to generate its frequency. To a cpu, 3 ghz is 3ghz regardless of it is the result of 136 * 22, 10 * 300, or 300 * 10.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Get a Grip man. I am not no Intel/AMD fan, I like both of them. I am just really surprised by these kind of AMD fans. I guess they don't like to loose. If you look at the Preformance difference between XP's frequency you will notice they are not linear as you would like it to be.

And please realize that Intel is on top right now. When AMD come back with something you can brag about it all you want. Let Intel Fans brag for now. You guys all braged when AMD was on Top. Only thing Intel fans were complaining about was THG's Video, how AMD doesn't have thermal protection. So now Intel is on top so all the AMD fans will complain about would be 'how P4 has this big MHZ increase with very little preformance'. You guys should first know the difference between both processor's arch. Then make claims like these.

KG

FatBurger

Illustrious
To a cpu, 3 ghz is 3ghz regardless of it is the result of 136 * 22, 10 * 300, or 300 * 10.

Do you think a CPU with a 1000MHz FSB and a multiplier of 3 will perform the same as a CPU with a 10MHz FSB and a multiplier of 300?

That's what you seem to be implying.

G

For the cpu ONLY, absolutely yes. Of course it is nonsense to think that the other components, and thus the overall system performance would be the same. That is not what I am saying.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't like they way these arguments are going. They're very immature. As far as I can see though the 3 Ghz version kicks everyone's ass, BUT it's not for sale, it's very special, and if anything it's just a marketing/advertisment ploy using an engineering sample. I was very dissapointed with some of it's benchmarks, but very impressed by most. Nonetheless, it's not for sale. These benchmarks are what I would have expected from Northwood right from the start, so I wish they'd get these on the market NOW, not later when they're not as competitive.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
uhm, yeh, is any software out there written to use anywhere near the performance granted by this cpu at 3ghz, i think not... and 20% better, at best isnt exactly the most precise thing to say considering that a 27% increase is seen in certain areas, perhaps more in others, the reason i chose the 27 was that it was on the page i was looking at and the speed increase is closer to 36% so as far as cpu performance goes that is very impressive, i love amd, ive got both my machines (other than the server which has the slowest chip) running amds (a tbird 1.33@1.52 and an XP1800)... the limiting factors for the 3ghz machine would be, most likely, the chipset, which isnt really designed for those speeds... also the graphics cards and ram might have something to do with it as might the hdd interface, anyway enjoy your hatred

if in doubt blame microsoft...

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
He didn't, he's had this account since 2000, but the start of this thread was his second post.

Why are there all sorts of newbies crawling out of the woodwork over this review? It wasn't THAT bad...

ED
Interesting that shortly after Taylanator stoped posting, SRR started too.

I sold my soul to Microsoft, and all I got was this lousy operating system.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bront on 01/18/02 03:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
good point... except a athlon can't run at 3ghz YOU GOD DAMNED MORON

This is just another example of the kind of post we don't need here. Someone expresses an opinion, and then someone else gets personal with an insult. And then he gets congratulated by people for a good post (FatBurger and jollygrinch). And FatBurger, you complain about trolls and then condone someone calling someone else a "GOD DAMNED MORON." If you disagree, fine, but leave out the insults.

<i>There are two theories on arguing with women. Neither one works.</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Good call Bront. Pays to do your homework.

tlaughrey, I thought it was funny. There's nothing wrong with that. If someone makes a joke about my name for instance, I'll laugh but that doesn't mean I'm condoning them making fun of me.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Well, I like to laugh and have fun as much as the next guy. And good-natured ribbing is fine. But if someone, especially a newbie, called me a GD MORON, I don't think I'd take it as funny. I thought he crossed the line, but I'm sure it's open to interpretation. Anyway ....

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
take your fud elsewhere... the fact is, if you toss away mhz, the fastest p4 system possible creams the fastest xp system possible. End of story, point final.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
He registered almost a year ago. I wouldn't consider that a newbie.

(See? I've learned how to look at dates now :lol: )

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
take your fud elsewhere... the fact is, if you toss away mhz, the fastest p4 system possible creams the fastest xp system possible. End of story, point final.
Agreed, now if only it was a tad cheaper. I'd buy a 2.2GHz Northwood in a heartbeat if it wouldn't been under $450USD. Being a teenager, I'm on a tight budget. I have to work to make money and that isn't easy because I have school to worry about as well. Oh well, I'll wait 'til the next price cut scheduled in a few weeks.

Intel_inside, before you answer this by bashing me, realize that I am sincerely considering a Northy for my next upgrade. If you start bashing me, I may have to change my plans, :lol:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Great ... so he's been lurking around for a year, and suddenly he decides to lower the boom on someone? For all I know, he could have registered a year ago and not have been back here since. I still wouldn't like him insulting me for expressing an opinion.

Have we beat this dead horse long enough yet? lol