G

I just built a 1.4Mhz 266FSB on a A7M266MB 512MB Micron ram system. For the first two days she was perfect. Last night when I put any strain on the CPU it would blue screen. I clocked it down (as little as 1mhz) and she is stable again. It is now running at 1399mhz and is stable. Any idea what might cause this? Just maybe a cpu that is not quite up to snuff? I only have a 300watt PS but it did run stable for a few days. Also I have both com ports and parallel port disables as well as on board sound and modem in the (I dont need to use them) in the hope it would reduce used power.
If there is anything I should check or do to see if I can get it back up to 1.4 I would appreciate it. Im sure I will not be able to tell the differnce between the 1mhz but I _hate_ seeing something less than I paid for.
Thanks
Joel

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What PSU Make/model do U have in this system ?
What Bios revision R U using ?
Will the system run @ 1.4Ghz with the case cover off ??

These are the most likely bits to be something 2 do with UR problem...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Hrrmm....

Since it ran fine for a few days, I would think that something must have gone bad or a component was "broken in" and now preforms worse.

Try checking you voltage line to the CPU; it may be dipping low. Also check your RAM.

G

I have a generic 300watt ps
my voltage from 'voltage monitor' on the asus probe shows;
+12 = 12.22
+5 = 4.99
+3.3 = 3.2..
Vcore = 1.776

I am buying a new PS tomorrow so I will try that. I was thinking of going from the jumperless mode on my MB and upping the volts. But I cant find anything that tells me what the cpu should run at.
I can adjust;
vio
vio1
cpu voltage (voltage regulator)

Should I adjust any of those?

My temps are good, 51 to 53. I run with the side of the case off.

I can run the macine @ 1.4 but soon as I put any load on it blue screens. I can surf the web and such, but not much more. Benchmark, games most anything will blue screen it.

I am hoping a PS will do the trick, if not should I up the volts? and if so on what?

Thanks again
Joel

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Those voltage readings are fine, so I am thinking that is most likely not a problem with your PSU. Readings like that will always be off by some minor amount.

Check AMD's website to see if your PSU is on the recommended list. If it is not, before you go out and buy one, see if you can swap one out with another from another computer or a friend, just to see if it works fine.

Your heat readings are fine, so I do not think it is a problem with that.

Also, remove the VI01 jumper completely. It sets your RAM voltage to 2.8v instead of the needed 2.5v. This is a known "problem" with the Asus A7M266. Mine is removed and running fine, if you have doubts about it. See if that works.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: