TBird FSB OC opinions

G

Don't take any of the following as a gripe, I can't complain about 1GHz at 100DDR!

I've been reading all sorts of conflicting reports/articles on the current limitations of the kt133 DDR-FSB and how it rarely overclocks well or stabily. Some say the limitation is the chipset, a few blame memory, and others point at the current TBirds/Durons core frequency.

So the question; where's the weak link?

My own experience is with a Duron600 and 700 both on Asus A7Vs. One runs 128mbMushkinHP133ECC the other CorsairPC133. Both OC by multiplier to 1GHz+. I've gotten as high as 115fsb by castrating my memory in both wait states and speed and by dropping the cpu multiplier to 5.5. but I don't consider this acceptable when the systems run at 1GHz by multiplier alone.

So what do you think? Will 133Athlons be full speed on a kt133? Has anyone had better luck fsb-oc with CAS2PC150 memory? Or are the A7V's fsb settings crack induced wishfull thinking? Anyone gotta link with a clue?

G

Well, here goes. On the KT133 chipset, the 133 FSB Athlons probobly will not run at a 133 FSB. It will act just like a regular Athlon. Especially if we consider that high quality memory is in use, it is a limitation of the KT133 that is derived from the AMD750. This is AMD's thinking: if people are able to increase the FSB signifigantly past 100MHz DDR (i.e. 133 or more), then this could possibly hurt future chipset sales (KT133A and AMD760 and yes I realize the 760 uses DDR memory) as there will be little or no performance difference. While I have no hard proof of this, it is believed by many that KT133 has been crippled in regard to how high the FSB can go. Kind of works like a governer or limiter for a car engine. With the KT133A, we know that the architecture of this chipset can support a 133 FSB which lends some credence to the crippling theory for the KT133. With any luck, the AMD760 and KX266 to follow will not impose any such limitations other than purely what the current architecture is capable of. However, with plans for a 333 FSB(166DDR) down the road, don't be surprised to see more imposed limitations on the 266 FSB boards.