Tbird v. Athlon ... Slot A vs. Socket A ???

dbota

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Within a couple of days I need to order up some parts and build a new system. Am basically going to build Tom's Hardware currently suggested "Dream Do-It-Yourself PC System." (http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010115/pcsystem-01.html. He specs an Asus A7V, Socket A, VIA KT133 chipsetwith a standard Athlon (which I thought would be a slot A setup although the article indicate a Socket A).

Isn't the Athlon Slot A and the Athlon Tbird Socket A?

In any case, I am considering maybe modifying this combination by spending a bit more for a Athlon Thunderbird instead and think I definitely want to go with something that is Socket A rather than slot A.

Can anyone fill me in on the specifics of the slots & sockets on Asus MB's and how they relate to the Athlon/Athlon Tbird and which would be preferred?

Slot A and Socket A are different although I believe you can get a card to bridge the difference.

The slot a chips have 512k of L2 cache and the socket a have 256k.
I see a lot more posts for the socket a chips so I think it must be the better choice. Read as many comparison posts as you can.

Personally, I plan to have an A7V/Thunderbird 256k at least at 800MHz, probably 1GHz.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
deffinitly go socket A. Asus A7V can run them all, also the Abit socket A board is good. Thunderbirds are much faster and much more upgradeable/overclockable.

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

dbota

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I had a great idea ... I went over to asus and checked out the specs. the a7v is slot A for plain althlons. the A7V DT133 is socket A for durons and tbirds. Another difference is A7V supports only UDMA66 while the A7V / DT 133 supports UDMA 100,

Sounds like the DT 133 with a t-bird is the more modern solution and will be pricier. Next step ... check out how much pricier ...