[SOLVED] TDP Differences

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
So this may be a bit of a, "Well, duh!" question, but since I can't find an absolutely definitive answer in multiple Google searches, I come to the smart cookies here.

I guess this would be a two-part question. My main use cases are gaming and F@H:

1. Is upgrading from a Ryzen 7 2700X to a 3700X worth it? I realize the 7nm+ versions are coming out soon but price reductions on present models are visible and tempting.
  2. If simply replacing the 105W 2700X with the 65W 3700X, would heat output be less under the same use cases with the lower TDP? (Yes, using the Prism would be ideal considering my mid tower case...and I don't have any plans of replacing anything other than the CPU). Or is less TDP equating to less heat a bit of a misnomer?

Thank you in advance!

Solution

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I have no intention of doing anything OC...I rather don't have the patience for it, TBH. It's not like there's a lot of OC headroom on Ryzen 3000s to begin with.

And yes, BIOS update will be done prior to any upgrade, seeing how I have that B450 in there.

So just so I'm clear, what I hear you saying is that heat will be less of an issue on a 65W 3700X, especially with F@H running?

Last edited:
Solution

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks Terry...that's what I was looking for and looking to confirm if true or not.

It won't be idle much as it'll either be Folding or gaming, so efficiency loss won't be much of a problem for the most part.

Thanks much!