Question TEAC CD Player Making Buzzing Noise

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
My CD player, TEAC CD-P650, has been doing this odd thing for well over a year now. A bit hard to explain but I'll try. At first it was intermittent but now it's happening any time I power it on after letting it sit for at least an hour. The odd issue is the sound quality and I tested the Sherwood receiver with Audiotechnica turntable and the receiver is not at fault. Basically, a CD starts spinning and reading fine (or if in USB mode, the iPod or whatever is reading without problems) but the sound quality is terrible. Tried with headphones plugged directly into the CD player and the sound is the same. It's got this odd buzzing/hissing to it. I can still hear the recording but the sound is awful. If I power off the CD player and power it back on several times... it's back in normal operating condition. About a year or two ago, turning it off and then turning it back on solved the issue. Now I need to do it 5-6 times!

I wonder if it's something on the power board? Is it related to ambient temperature? The CD player has been in unfinished basement for the last couple of years where temps are about 60 degrees F. Really odd as overall the unit still works quite well. The turntable and the receiver have not given me any trouble in 8+ years.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Could be anything. CD players are cheap. Do we have emotional attachment to this particular Teac?

Tried Google/uTube yet? If ur lucky, this maybe a known problem.
No emotional attachment to this one. Overall, it's a good unit. I like the USB port right up front. Sound quality normally is good. Plays pretty much all CD's with very minor issues on a couple of burnt ones. Would be nice to fix it but I have not found a solution yet. And yes, tried YouTube, etc. Nothing yet.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a $300-500 machine...but it's $300-500. We'll see.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
After some additional testing it appears that temps are a huge factor in playback performance. The issues I described earlier go away once the unit is in warmer environment, i.e. mid-high 60's F or greater.

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I don't think they were suggesting upgrading the whole system but you can get a brand new cd/dvd player for $12-$20 bucks. Very easy replacement. Even cheaper you could possibly pop the cover and play a cd to try and find out where the buzzing is coming from. Feel free to poke around with a prod of some kind like a toothpick or chopstick to see if pressure somewhere alleviates or distresses the audio further. Then apply some white silicone lube. Might do this anywhere you can see there is already lube. Just don't over apply it.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
The annoying noise I was referring to earlier was the same for either CD or iPod plugged directly via the OEM USB cable. Could be heard either through speakers or headphones plugged in directly. Otherwise the player sounded fine. So I don't think the noise was mechanical. Still, kind of hard to describe it. The good news is that at warm room temperatures this is no longer an issue.

Last edited: