Team 40051 - Toms Needs U - Folding@Home

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
:( According to my calculations, this 2.5 million step WU is gonna take about aroudn 12-13 days to complete on this Duron 750 PC :( I see people saying that they get 400 step Work Units. How come I get insanely big WUs?

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
How many points do you think this one is going to be worth?

Last one was 250,000 steps (PMD Core) and I got 66 points.

This one is 2,500,000 steps (Gromacs Core).

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jaimegmr on 03/24/05 05:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
The # of steps doesn't mean much. You can check how many points WUs are worth @ <A HREF="http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html" target="_new">http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html</A>
Your first WU would have taken about 20 hours on your xp2500+ rig.
You can guestimate how long your new WU will take based on points, and compaired to your first WU.
Many of the 400 step WUs would take over a week on your duron. They are worth 241 points.
If you have 512mb or more of ram, on your xp2500+, you should enable receipt of units > 5mb. They need more than 100mb of ram to run, but those WUs have a higher points/time ratio.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<b>Members Changed: +3 Total 100</b> Welcome <b>"Marcos", "Slick Dragon" and "jaimegmr"</b>. Been quite awhile since three people showed up in a day. Glad you could make it. "Jaimegmr" looks like your Mr. 100, sorry there is no special prize but you have our thanks and the knowledge that you are doing something fundamentally good for humanity.

<b>Kudos, Individual Milestones</b>: <A HREF="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=40051" target="_new">link</A>. Sorry if I miss any of you

We have a bunch of people just ripping up the ranks!!! <b>"PaulDH"</b> up 13 places. <b>"Linus Laurin"</b> up 32 places. <b>"Labby"</b> up 17 places. "<b>MolarMan"</b> up 20 places. <b>"Nichoel"</b> up 7 places and <b>"Weeblie"</b> up 9 places

<b>Project Rank: 163 (-2)</b> of 37078. We ARE going to make the top 100 teams in the world just stick together.

<b> !!! Go Team Go !!! </b>

Still looking for MORE contest ideas :).

<b> Fold For Toms Hardware Guide Community</b>

===========================================================
Come join us. We'd like to have you with us. There are <b>100</b> of us Now and were nowhere near enough, we'd like your company. We're <b>team 40051</b> at <A HREF="http://folding.stanford.edu" target="_new">http://folding.stanford.edu</A>.

The loving are the daring!

dcmopar10

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Im marcos just trying to help you guys out with my spare cpu time, i am going to try to get a small car related forum to help www.florida3s.com

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. albert einstein

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Im using the Console version of F@H. Is it possible to take the files from the computer im currently using and put them in a faster computer? If so, which files do I copy?

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
I have seen we have moved up from 168 to 163 not bad I am trying to keep things on at work while I am away. Hope to keep moving because that means the TEAM is moving!

Good Luck all,

Molarman

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Hey we really have 102 contributors. There is a <A HREF="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=40051&p=2" target="_new"> 2nd page of folders 101 and 102.</A> The absolute last is 'DrMarvin'.

BTW. <b>Welcome FirstSage!</b>

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
I just turned on my get bigger work icon so I should be getting some bigger ones finally. I haev two computers running at this time but I should have my new rig up next week IF you promise to help me as this is my first home built rig. It will be a FX-55 with 1gb of ram, Yes I know I paid dearly for the chip but who cares let it help us! That will give me three rigs up and folding hope that is ok.

I will say I have not read all the post but I have to completely shut down the folding program to play. If there have been any hints or sugg. then tell me what page to go to and I will read from there.

I love to fold :]

Molar-the antidentites dentists

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Quick question on the CPU utilization slide bar, which way is 100% and will in increase my folding (what other steps can increase the folding other than hardward upgrades)?

Thanks,

Molar

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Hi Dentures aka. Molar :wink: ,

Go ahead and shut down the folding when you play a game. For some reason I have to do the same, as well, on one of my two gaming systems; the other doesn't seem to care.

Don't really know any other "legit" way of increasing the points you get for folding. There are some sneaky ways..like when u repair a PC put folding on it with your name and our team. Then there are the not sneaky ways like asking your friend to contribute some in your name. The only thing I would suggest for people is not to run this stuff at computers at work without permission. It uses electricity and does some wear; electricity both for folding and for air conditoning (may not be so bad in the winter).

stefan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
hey molar the folding dentist,
I reply to your question about playing and folding: sjonnie keeps on telling us, that if you run the console-version of FAH, you can also run it as a service, which - he says - doesn't interfere with your graphix-card when gaming.
I must admit, that contrary to what I've been promising, I still haven't tried it out yet.
If your interested I invite you to scroll back a few pages in this thread and look out for posts of sjonnie (as there's one, where he explains it already very well)!
cheers!

Molar

Distinguished
May 5, 2001
Thanks for the info never hurts to ask. I will shut it off to play games problem is I forget to turn it back on!

Keep folding!

What about tee shirts for the top 25 or 50(self pay of course) sounds stupid I know but the more we get this out into the public the more folding is going to get done?

Molar

stefan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
What about tee shirts for the top 25 or 50
yeah, or what about T-shirts for everyone, but for those producing, like 4K points/week or more for THGC, they get a reduced price!?? :wink:
Of course, it would have to be an award-winning design!! (like one of mine! :lol: )

Do some designs and post them for everyone to take a look. I'd love to have a THGC Folding t-shirt!

stefan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
At the command line type: FAH502-console.exe -local -configonly

When it asks whether to install the program as a service or not type: yes

When config exits it will say the service won't start till you reboot. Instead, just type services.msc and start the service yourself.

>I prefer the graphics edition, because it's easier to shut down, and restart, for gaming.

That's not necessary
Thanx, sjonnie!!
I tried it out at last! And I have to admit it: you're right! I mean, I've got a GB-RAM in me gaming rig and I'm not sure, I'm folding a lot during gaming, but I can hereby attest: the gaming-performance was not affected in any way I could perceive. (NFS-U2@1024x768and_all_them_details)
+of course, most important: the game wouldn't minimize as it did before.
:lol:
so, <b>thanks again, sjonnie</b> - and to you other big-time folders (with ATI cards and gaming intentions) out there: <b>it's worth a try!</b> simply DL the console-version, copy to the same directory as the gui-version, open a command-line-promt, goto the dir, type -configonly [&configure], start the service, done. <b>you even don't have to wait for a WU to finish</b>, as I did, if you use the same directory! :wink:
cheers!

stefan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
:smile: I even know some people who make their own T-shirts; I would ask them, but I'm not sure, if you would be interested in T-shirts from Tyrol, Austria. (order-wise) :lol:
and a completly different matter would be the time-frame. I'm not even sure, I could get my hands on some decent designs within a matter of 2 weeks. not counting the production. and when it's ready to be dispatched, you wait another 2 weeks until it has crossed the atlantic. :frown:

Why ya gotta be in Austria, huh?! Couldn't make it easy on everyone by being in the States - even the same continent woulda been nice. Some people! LOL - JK.

I'm in no big rush to get a t-shirt. If someone here in the states "knows someone who knows someone" we may be able to produce some here to save on costs...we would still need the design...

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<b>Members Changed: +1 Total 103</b> Welcome <b>"Wizzy"</b>. I suppose your are "Wuzzy's" cousin. Hopefully your handle indicates a speed related interest rather than something else :lol:

<b>Kudos, Individual Milestones</b>: <A HREF="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=40051" target="_new">link</A>. Sorry if I miss any of you

apesoccer ________ 90,000 ... Kicking big time
Sparky853 _______ 80,000 ... Lighting up our lives
me _____________ 70,000 ... Everyman
ChipDeath ________ 60,000 ... Chip Killer or Chip Abuser ???
Stefan ___________ 50,000 ... Rocketing along
Lucas1223a _______ 10,000 ... The Art of Folding
PapaSmurfey ______ 10,000 ... Blue Power !!!!
Confoundicator _____ 5,000 ... Stomping the enemy
slvr_phoenix _______ 5,000 ... Rising to the challenge
PaulDH ___________ 5,000 .... Great Folding
Molarman777 ______ 1,000 ... Easier than pulling teeth

<b>Project Rank: 160 (-3)</b> of 37078. We ARE going to make the top 100 teams in the world just stick together.

We've just recently passed the 1,250,000 point mark. Nice folding there. We've just finished our <b>best week ever @ 114,696 points</b>. We've passed our best month with 4 days to go (Ok Feb was short but we're still doing better this month). We've finally gotten passed the previous levels of active folders; that being another positive sign.

We're starting to get into rough territory. Getting harder to see progress in moving up the ranks. Best way to see how we're doing is to look at our point totals.

I've been a bit busy and have a long day ahead so here is the BLoG for yesterday and today :smile: . Happy Folding People.

<b> !!! Go Team Go !!! </b>

"Molar" has suggest T-Shirts. We've had some interest and lots of people like the idea. If any of you have the inclination you might submit a design. Thanks Molar and thank you for helping keep up interest.

We continue to look for even MORE contest/team ideas :).

<b> Fold For Toms Hardware Guide Community</b>

===========================================================
Come join us. We'd like to have you with us. There are over <b>100</b> of us Now and were nowhere near enough, we'd like your company. We're <b>team 40051</b> at <A HREF="http://folding.stanford.edu" target="_new">http://folding.stanford.edu</A>