Question Team Fortress 2 Lag

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I enjoy playing Team Fortress 2 on my machine, and have had no issues when I was using Windows 10

I recently went to Windows 11, and suddenly there is in game lag spikes.

It's not all the time, but it's definitely an issue at regular intervals.

I have tried WLAN optimizer but that made no difference. (Disabling background network scanning)

The lag spike lasts 2 seconds at the most, but it's enough to ruin the game at that point. Game play after that is perfect.

TP Link have said their unit is defective, and they will change it. But it was fine with Win 10, but if they change it, that's fine.

But I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues after the Win 11 update.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Considering you've mentioned TP-Link in the above post, can you please mention the models of said TP-Link gear? Often times BIOS updates on the motherboard, as well as reinstall of (all)the (relevant)drivers as well as a firmware update on your router(or networking gear) can alleviate the issue.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Sorry, I just didn't think it would be relevant due to it working on the same system under windows 10 vs Windows 11.

But i'll fill in the details

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 (BIOS is to the latest release)
Ram: 64Gb 3600 Corsair
SSD/HDD: Windows 11 is on 2TB Gigabyte Nvme the game is on 500GB WD 7200rpm Drive
GPU: RX 580 8gb
PSU: Corsair 720W
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify 2XL

I use a TP Link Archer T9UH V2. I get 48mbps down and 5.6mbps up. Connection is very stable on 5Ghz network. It's been solid for gaming for ages under windows 10

The only change is to Windows 11.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I have some information that might help.

I watch the task manager performance as i am playing and when the lag happens, Disk 3 has a higher % , so something is going on on that disk perodically. Causing the lag.

I am wondering what that could be. tbh .

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I had an interesting couple of email exchanges with TP Link over this. The WIFI Adapter worked fine under Windows 10, none of these issues. I upgraded to Windows 11 and the problems started.

I asked them about the drivers, they said Windows 10 drivers were fine, and gave me generic ones to try. Neither fixed the issue.

They then said the unit is defective, and they need proof of purchase and a picture of the serial number , which I cannot provide as the unit is a good few years old and I've long since lost the receipt. They have point blank refused to deal with it any further due to that.

My issue is, the unit worked perfectly fine under Windows 10 but not Windows 11, which makes me think that the drivers are simply not Windows 11 ready. Are TP Link being lazy here and not updating the drivers ? Or is the unit simply not compatible under Windows 11 ? Food for thought, I am considering moving to NETGEAR Nighthawk for the wifi adapter now.