Team Fortress 2 May Be Going F2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudberry

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Team Fortress 2 has always been free to play in my eyes. Why, when I bought Portal, I received four free games! TF2 being one of them, naturally.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i never understood why team fort was so well recieved.

than again i never seen a point to team deathmatch with no rewards (see battlefield bc 2 as an example of rewards) and everything you get seams to also be random...

and
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Here's the limitation that SHOULD be set for free players:1. No hats2. Limitation of weapons that can be earned[/citation]

with micro transactions, they probably stand to make more money having it free and completely unlocked, because you wont feel like you are gimped, and to everyone who bought it, 10$ in game store credit, giveing everyone who bought it free items, and everyone who didnt wouldnt get @#$%. that would be the best method.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I've owned this game for about 18 months and have never even installed it. It will be F2P before I ever get around to it I think...[/citation]

You really should get around to that. 100% worth it.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Not F2P, just a free week of play in anticipation for the release of "Meet the Medic". Check out the official blog, it's all there.
They claim that it's gonna be the biggest update. Ever.
I personally can't wait to play it, I already love the new Heavy weapons!

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i never understood why team fort was so well recieved.than again i never seen a point to team deathmatch with no rewards (see battlefield bc 2 as an example of rewards) and everything you get seams to also be random...and
with micro transactions, they probably stand to make more money having it free and completely unlocked, because you wont feel like you are gimped, and to everyone who bought it, 10$ in game store credit, giveing everyone who bought it free items, and everyone who didnt wouldnt get @#$%. that would be the best method.[/citation]

Team Fortress was out well before BF. In fact it was one of the reasons why BF 1942 stood a chance. It helped push the onlin team based FPS.

TF2 on the other hand changed the game by creating a unique style and giving it a very comedic cast as well. The Meet The Team videos are hilarious and in game is just as awesome.

[citation][nom]fakie[/nom]more noobs to pwn ;3[/citation]

Pretty much. I love TF2. To this day its the only game I run back to. I haven't found any game yet that I can say the same about.

As for the F2P, meh. I paid $10 (OB) bucks and put over 1K hours into it and plan many more.

G

Well Team Fortress 2 has a steep learning curve so most of the new comers will play for a while get tired of getting owned every 4 seconds by sniper headshots & Baclstabs and go back to playing Barbie Horse Adventures XD

G

As a PC gamer of around a thousand hours this year alone, I must say that this game is incredibly over-hyped.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Team Fortress and Team Fortress 1.5 (TF Classic) were both F2P (well because they were mods for Quake/Half life) which was a main reason for their success. I welcome this change as it will enable more players to join the community.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Not a fan of free to play. You are gonna have to pay in some way, nothing is free in this world. All is does is dilute the online user base with a swarm of 'just trying it out' types detracting from what those more seasoned are looking for. Keep it simple. Read a few reviews, if it sounds your cup of tea, f'ing buy it out right.

G

I played team fortress classic an incredible amount of time. I was extremely excited about team fortress 2. Sadly, I was surprisingly disappointed by TF2. After dawn of war 2, supreme commander 2, and tf2, I have adopted a requirement for myself concerning video games. -Never- will I buy a game again until I've really had a chance to play the whole game through.
Personally, I think every game maker should have a free play through week or day or whatever. I've gone to see way too many movies, purchased too many games and movies to find incredible amounts of disappointment follow shortly after. By far the most disappointing game purchase of my life was an army men game for playstation 1. I beat the game in about an hour and there was nothing more to it.
Team Fortress classic was a very fun game, I remember playing some sort of 4v4v4v4 mode that was intense. The only game that I have ever enjoyed more was planetside, it is a shame that SOE is a rabid dog that needs to be put down, I was looking forward to planetside 2.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
[citation][nom]n483494[/nom]I played team fortress classic an incredible amount of time. I was extremely excited about team fortress 2. Sadly, I was surprisingly disappointed by TF2. After dawn of war 2, supreme commander 2, and tf2, I have adopted a requirement for myself concerning video games. -Never- will I buy a game again until I've really had a chance to play the whole game through.Personally, I think every game maker should have a free play through week or day or whatever. I've gone to see way too many movies, purchased too many games and movies to find incredible amounts of disappointment follow shortly after. By far the most disappointing game purchase of my life was an army men game for playstation 1. I beat the game in about an hour and there was nothing more to it.Team Fortress classic was a very fun game, I remember playing some sort of 4v4v4v4 mode that was intense. The only game that I have ever enjoyed more was planetside, it is a shame that SOE is a rabid dog that needs to be put down, I was looking forward to planetside 2.[/citation]

Thats what demo's are for man, your logic is nuts, like saying never buy a house without living in it first for a month. You do your due dilgence by reading reviews, trying the demo, but this concept of getting something for nothing while you make up your mind whether you will pay for it based on some internal to you value system is bonkers.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]cloudberry[/nom]Team Fortress 2 has always been free to play in my eyes. Why, when I bought Portal, I received four free games! TF2 being one of them, naturally.[/citation]
Funny thing is, Portal was actually the free game in the Orange Box. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.