Team Group Delta RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I see this got a Tom's Approved award. Is there a place where you guys describe what these awards mean and what variables are factored into them? Something like:

Editor Approved: This product doesn't suck at the very least.
Editor Recommended: This product is better than many of it's rivals.
Editor's Choice: This product is the Bernie Sanders of the computer world.

Let me correct this:

Editor Approved: It meets expectations: it doesn't suck.
Editor Recommended: This product is better than many of it's rivals.
Editor's Choice: This product has no equal in performance for cost. PR/Advertising hasn't made false promises.

More officially, I think they did specify in better detail at one point in time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thanks!

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

yesssssssssssssss

This article needs a video/60fpsGIF/Webm of the RGB rainbow/color shifts in action. The picture of the static rainbow isn't really impressive, but when you see for example the g.skill trident z RGBs actually changing colors it looks really cool.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

That's a really good idea. Crashman: Let's do this for the RGB things!

Also:
Editor Approved: It meets the expectations for the category. (Someone said "it doesn't suck," but I might say instead that it gets a passing grade.)
Editor Recommended: Not only does the product do well, but it also is a good value for the category.
Editor's Choice: Pricing or other considerations aside, this is a best-in-class for this category.

Some editors are tougher graders than others, but I encourage everyone to think these 3 awards through, to rarely give the top 2 unless really warranted.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

Yeah, just like coolers or graphic cards have specific test condition and protocols (a list of things to measure in specific order to reflect their performance) RGB accessories should also have a testing guidelines which will help people to decide on quality and provide more feedback overall.

What im thinking about is a few steps to show capabilities of RGB accessories and mostly test how the light is diffused (if it is at all):

- full red test

- full green test

- full blue test

* this generally will tell if one of channels is significantly weaker than others

- full red + green test (to see if either red or green is dominant)

- full red + blue test (to see if either red or blue is dominant)

- full green + blue test (to see if either green or blue is dominant)

* how to tell which colour is dominant? in red + green test according to additive colour mixing theory we should have yellow light but if instead we get green then we have dominant green and if we get red/orange we have dominant red

- ultimate test full red + blue + green to see how clean white will be (example, if there is a blue/cyan tint it means that blue/red is dominant)

* generally during these tests, especially during white test, if its performed in closed space (like CPU case) we usually see whether light is mixed properly or whether we will see white as each separate colour

IMO only after thorough test like above reviewer should proceed with all the fancy rainbow modes which cause the WOW effect but very cleverly hide all lacks in lighting and light mixing.

Additionally showing original control software is a must thing to do. Claiming "its compatible with X" and calling it a day is not acceptable. People use combination of hardware and if all fails they will rely on producers control software. Now beside showing all the rainbow modes in action something that should be told is wheter user is allowed to enter custom colours or if they are limited to presets - by custom color i mean manually entering R, G, B values from 0 to 255.

Here is a video that i find to be close to a perfect review of an RGB accessory, not only the author showed whole capabilities of unit but with this clever split screen he was showing in real time how to do it in software and how does RGB unit reacts to it.
https://youtu.be/L-jMOTYWCgU?t=390

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm just going to rewrite my response for clarity: These memory controllers provide improved performance when given four or more ranks of RAM, and we had already been writing articles to show this fact using non-RGB DIMMs. Unfortunately, we didn't have any dual-RANK RGB DIMMs to show, so the only way we could make this a comparison of RGB DIMMs and still show the benefit of four ranks was to include a set of four single-rank RGB DIMMs. And that's the G.Skill 32GB set.

Status
Not open for further replies.