News Team Group Launches Liquid-Cooled M.2 NVMe SSD

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is too gimmicky. If it needs better cooling than a solid heatsink, they should really just use a vapor chamber. That would not only work better, but be maintenance-free, as well. I'm not even sure it would cost much more.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Team Group's patented self-circulation cooling system consists of transferring the heat from the SSD to the aluminum alloy heatsink through silicone thermal conductive pads. The heatsink is actively cooled with liquid through a convection process.
So there is some sort of tiny pump in there? Because that's the only way I could see it being appropriate to call it "active". Regardless, I fail to see how circulating what looks like on the order of maybe 10 ml of liquid is going to help.

This looks like it was designed for people who think "liquid cooling" is automatically superior but don't actually understand how it works. Liquid cooling is just a heat transfer medium that allows heat to be moved from the component to a rad with a large surface area to dissipate heat. Given that liquid doesn't seem to have anywhere to go nor any radiator to transfer heat to for this product, I don't see the point. In fact, given the whole thing appears to be enclosed in plastic, it may actually be somewhat insulated, possibly reducing its ability to transfer heat into the air that is blowing through the case.

I guess the liquid would add a bit of thermal mass, which could help for cooling for short, busty loads. But just having a bigger metal heatsink would accomplish the same thing, but probably better.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So there is some sort of tiny pump in there? Because that's the only way I could see it being appropriate to call it "active". Regardless, I fail to see how circulating what looks like on the order of maybe 10 ml of liquid is going to help.
Yeah, I had the same thoughts, but too lazy to find better pics or info to see if it's truly active or just mislabeled.

This looks like it was designed for people who think "liquid cooling" is automatically superior but don't actually understand how it works.
At some level, I think someone must've understood that. IMO, this is a cynical marketing ploy to play on "liquid cooling" and fancy RGB lighting.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
If I had to guess, they are only using the liquid as a larger thermal buffer for the drive. Yes it operates at a lower temp for short periods of time, but once the liquid heats up its just going to run the same.

I would be willing to bet their 10C claim is only reflected in short length tests.

Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS