Team Nintendo's Stock Price Blasts Off Following Pokemon Go Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Although a great game on its own this is not the Pokémon we know and love. This game is centered around the one who is willing to spend the most actual real currency will be the better trainer.....well not actually trainer but player.

A game where you have to spend real money for in game poke coins is ridiculous. At a rate of $1 for 100 pokecoins it can be come real expensive real fast

G

Yes, a lot of problems are happening, from people being lured in isolated places and then being robbed, to people being oblivious of their environment and standing in the middle of a road, etc. It's a Darwin experiment in a way.

I doubt the stock price increase has anything to do with this app. Do you really think a single app like this can increase stock prices 25%? Going by market cap, that would mean this app is worth, according to investors, $5.75 Billion. I doubt it.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I feel this is a great injustice to what Pokemon was. This is nothing more than a cash grab for a useless and otherwise terrible game if it wasn't piggybacking off the pokemon license.

There is also an alarming number of adults behaving like children with this. I grew up in the Pokemon generation and was a huge fan, when I was 10. This is fine, but when a pay-2-win game makes a huge stock jump 15% practically over night. That is terrible news for everyone in the gaming world. Queue the even larger wave of pay-2-win games that lack content and are in every single way, worse than what we used to get for our money.

I am a huge opponent to this sort of thing. It is a real shame that this is the garbage of the future.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I tried playing, but in Oklahoma all the gyms and pokestops are located in churches.... real funny Nintendo. Also, I am super disappointed there are no electric types next to this giant power plant -.-

WildCard999

Titan
Nearly all of the micro transactions can be avoided if you go to the poke'stops to replenish items. Also poke'coins can be earned every 21 hours after holding a gym. Really, the only ppl buying the items with cash are the ones too lazy to go to various locations and the game wants you to travel, that's kind of the point of the game. Most of the ppl I know that are high level haven't spent any money but do play a lot! And unlike other F2P app/game there's no ads in the game.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

There are a few problems that need to be ironed out. Foremost is the problem with people GPS Spoofing and taking the gyms before the app is even live in said country. Second (for me anyways) is that all the stops and gyms are located INSIDE of churches or locations that people don't want to/cannot go into. I don't plan to attend a sermon just to get more pokeballs.

Also lets not forget the 11 Teens who were lured into a pokestop that was a parking lot on the bad side of Saint Louis and mugged.

Thank you google.

WildCard999

Titan
Well its still a brand new app, the kinks/exploits hopefully should be taken care of, especially with how many ppl are playing it. I do agree though some of the locations are not very good places to go to as all of mine near me are veteran bars so when I go in I feel like a need to have a drink of two lol. As far as the muggings at least they caught 3 out of the 4 that were doing it and I feel ppl are being a bit more careful, there are a bunch of guides telling ppl not to go to sketchy places.

Essentially they need to make the radius of poke'stops/gyms much larger so we don't need to be going into police stations, churches, bars or into a cemetery (a bit disrespectful if you ask me) and we can stay just outside these locations and still benefit. I guess the first update will be for trading but I hear they will be addressing bugs with the update as well. The most important issue when it was first released was the servers crashing from so many users.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I would rather them move the locations to Actual parks and monuments. I visited a town in Oklahoma called Chickasha, small town a few parks. They have a university there thats renown for the first all woman's college. Were the parks stops? no. the university? no. there was 1 pokemon stop and it was a run down church in the middle of no where. I would be ok seeing a walmart becoming a stop, or even a gas station for that matter. But yeah I expect a nice update to fix this (I hope)

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I do not think you understand how the game works.

You do not have to go into these places to get to the pokestop! You only have to be within the radius until the icon changes. So if you are thinking that you must go into a church to get the items then when you come to a lion cage at the zoo, please go into there too to collect those items.

Many micro transactions cannot be avoided by holding a gym for more than 21 hours is impossible when you live in a major city. I challenge gyms in NYC all the time and the longest ive held a gym for is 5 minutes. By the time I beat all 3 Pokémon, revive my strongest Pokémon that fainted during the battle someone already put their Pokémon as the gym leader. Then I have to beat their Pokémon again, wasting more revives and potions then after an hour of this process I finally got to put a Pidgeot with a CP of 1018, 5 minutes later my Pokémon is back on my phone with 1 HP and I have to revive it and use more potions.

So unless you live in a rural town where no one will visit the gym it is nearly impossible to hold a gym for 21 hours to get poke coins.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I do not think you understand how "Mega Churches" work in the mid west. We are not talking about a small 5,000 sq ft church with a parking lot. These are massive to the point they absorb 4 square blocks for the building itself. now, place a gym or pokestop in the center and there is no way you can get to it without entering into the building.
Welcome to the "Bible belt"

On a side note, I have heard that a lot of gyms and stops are picked and mirrored from their previous game "Ingress" where there was a submit process at one point and 5 million locations were added.

WildCard999

Titan
Yea all the location data is from Ingress but it all from player submitted data so i'm sure there's quite a few mistakes. I've seen stops that are located where previous buildings were and have been demolished or are no-trespass zones. Needless to say they need to redo most of the rural locations as from what I hear the city locations have been pretty much up to par. Or like I said before expand the radius of the zones so that the players don't need to enter the buildings. As far as the "Mega Churches" the zones should be located at the front of the buildings so you don't need to actually enter the church during a service/mass or memorial. Hopefully Niantic will address these issues before someone gets hurt or killed.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Seems like many people never worked in a QA department looking at some comments in this thread. When you release a product prior to launching you have to make sure it works with a bunch of devices. There may be also other hidden and dishonest reasons unaware from the public but i won't speculate right now.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I am unsure of what you are getting at. Could you elaborate?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Oh.........mega churches, ouch. Yeah, I totally thought it was a simple small church not a Herald Square Macys sized church

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I did a wireless replacement for one. It had starbucks, mcdonalds, like...4 maybe 5 gift shops and several stores in it. It was only a 8.7 million dollar replacement. we drove golf carts everywhere due to its massive size.

Status
Not open for further replies.