Team Red Goes Blue: AMD Announces Radeon Pro WX Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else notice that the WX 4100 is a PCIe 8x card?
I highly doubt there will be a performance impact due to this decision, but I bet there will be a BOM impact.
Smart thinking AMD!

cheesemanx

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
AMD is getting the ball rolling on corporate color change, now Intel can change to green, nVidia to Red, and Matrox can pick up Yellow. Then we will have all the primary colors covered.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If there's no corresponding consumer version @ x8, then I think the custom board design will probably outweigh the BOM savings. This is a low-volume product. They probably made a x8 card for those server boards out there which lack a x16 slot. Now that's a good move.

Had to lol at Matrox.

I still can't believe these companies get away with such huge markups on "workstation" versions of the exact same cards. These don't even have more memory! I'm sure it has ECC, but c'mon...

Time to split some hairs. Assuming sub-1000 mean 999.99 and 5tflops. Wouldn't it make more sense to go with a titanXP for 11tflops? 20% more cost sure, but 100+% more flops. Maybe the perf/watt on the pro cards makes the difference. But given the perf/watt at lower skus. The story changes quite a bit if you look at the P100. Which looks like it'll be priced in the multiple thousands ball park. So would the "workstation" class component be worth the added cost for the level of performance?

That blue is pretty sweet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.