Review TeamGroup T-Force Dark AirFlow I SSD Cooler Review: The strongest NVMe heatsink you can buy

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Albert Thomas said:
This could cool a low-end CPU!
I would love to have such a capable cooler for the SoC in my mini PC. My, what crazy times we live in!
: )

The article said:
The Dark Airflow I supports double-sided SSDs and will keep both sides of the unit cooled effectively, which enables maximum unthrottled performance.
Did you find any way of checking to see how well the bottom side of the SSD was cooled? FWIW, it seems to be only partially-populated:

uRhJRXvrvye5jK6mDASFrS.jpg

I always thought the best way to use these double-sided coolers would be to put some thermal compound in between where the top & bottom parts of the cooler overlap. That way, you might get more effective transfer of heat from the bottom to the top. If there were a way to measure the temperature of the bottom NAND chips, this hypothesis could be tested.

dmitche31958

Honorable
Aug 13, 2019
I always loving the Pros and Cons. "Pitch black aesthetic". I view this as a con and I would prefer Pitch white myself. Why are simple personal choices that have no baring on a product considered Pros and Cons? Really.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I always loving the Pros and Cons. "Pitch black aesthetic". I view this as a con and I would prefer Pitch white myself. Why are simple personal choices that have no baring on a product considered Pros and Cons? Really.
Yeah, it seems like such subjective points really should be listed under a separate category, like Other Points of Interest.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
In my experience, cooling the underside of an SSD is all about slapping on the thickest thermal pad that the mobo allows. The top side cooler does a decent job of sucking away the heat, if it's large enough.
I would love to have such a capable cooler for the SoC in my mini PC. My, what crazy times we live in!
If you need replacement heatsinks for a N100, like I did, definitely look at old northbridge/VGA coolers, 1U server CPU heatsinks, and mosfet heatsinks.
If the heatsink mounting holes are non-standard length, you can use a slotted flat metal repair bracket, some washers, and longer screws (usually M2 or M3) to mount it.

I had an old Thermalright HR-05 with most of the hardware needed for completely passive cooling.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
In my experience, cooling the underside of an SSD is all about slapping on the thickest thermal pad that the mobo allows.
Thermal pads are far less heat-conductive than aluminum or copper, so you'd rather have one that's thin and devote excess room to a thicker backplate. If someone were serious about M.2 backside cooling, I'd expect the bottom part should be made of copper.

If you need replacement heatsinks for a N100, like I did, definitely look at old northbridge/VGA coolers, 1U server CPU heatsinks, and mosfet heatsinks.
Thanks for the advice, but being BGA the boards each tend to have custom-spaced mounting holes. My SoC is the N97, which has higher power & frequency limits. I can get CPU + GPU workloads to push package power up to 18 W (software-reported). At that point, system power is mysteriously 48 W, though I'm not sure where the other 30 W goes. You can feel everything else on the board and the CPU is far-and-away the hottest thing. Even the VRM isn't very hot.

If the heatsink mounting holes are non-standard length, you can use a slotted flat metal repair bracket,
Not sure what you mean by "length". Can you give an example of "slotted flat metal repair bracket"? Not sure if it would help me.

Reactions: TheJoker2020

Albert.Thomas

Respectable
Staff member
Aug 10, 2022
Did you find any way of checking to see how well the bottom side of the SSD was cooled? FWIW, it seems to be only partially-populated:
uRhJRXvrvye5jK6mDASFrS.jpg
I don't have a way of separately measuring the temperature of the bottom NAND, but if the bottom isn't cooled properly throttling is observed in my tests.

I got a 22110 here with some thermal pads on bottom of ssd you can make the motherboard grab some heat. But will be a limit over time before the ssd hit the limit wall.

Put an old am3 atlhon fan 70x70mm at lowest rpm (650 rpm) just to maintain the temperature of the components