News TeamGroup's DDR5 Modules to Arrive Late June: Specs & Price Revealed

Dec 22, 2020
On the TeamGroup website it says 16GBx2 instead of the 8GBx2 you reported here!
"The initial launch of TEAMGROUP ELITE DDR5 memory module will support 16GBx2 of capacity at a frequency of 4800MHz, with a voltage of 1.1V CL40-40-40-77"
I'm confused by all this!

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Jun 17, 2021
On the TeamGroup website it says 16GBx2 instead of the 8GBx2 you reported here!
"The initial launch of TEAMGROUP ELITE DDR5 memory module will support 16GBx2 of capacity at a frequency of 4800MHz, with a voltage of 1.1V CL40-40-40-77"
I'm confused by all this!
That's what you get when writers don't conduct due diligence just to get a flashy byline. Good reporters and writers are a dying breed.

Reactions: TheAlphaFury
Cheaper than I expected… lets see…
The performance of these kits is likely to be worse than many DDR4 kits available for under $100. That CL40 latency is likely to kill any performance gains the higher frequency brings. That works out to close to 17ns of absolute latency, much higher than that of reasonably-priced DDR4-3600 kits with latencies in the 9-12ns range. The mere 33% frequency gain over commonly available DDR4-3600 is likely to be outweighed by the even higher latencies. DDR5-4800 will be a bit like like what DDR4-2133 was to the current generation of RAM. Not exactly worth paying a huge premium for.

That's what you get when writers don't conduct due diligence just to get a flashy byline. Good reporters and writers are a dying breed.
I don't see anything about pricing listed on that page though, so it's hard to say if they are referring to the same kit. Realistically, I would expect them to offer this RAM in both 2x8GB and 2x16GB kits, among others. But even 32GB for $400 would be excessive if the performance doesn't match that of DDR4 kits of the same capacity available for less than half the price.

Last edited: