TEC build log start

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
http://imgur.com/cd15M1a
ok so I have finished all my testing and decided on a general build for this unit.
this build will be sealed inside of a chest so I will not have physical access to the computer case, I would like some input on the general idea that I am presenting, I use antifreeze so freezing the coolant is not a issue, and seeing as I am increasing the cooling capacity of my water cooling system, I have also chosen new clocks for my hardware, the CPU clock will run at 5Ghz, and the GPU's will be running at 930Mhz, I have already tested theses clocks and found them to be stable for my hardware.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
http://imgur.com/a/dyqTX

ok, so I got the new 2133Mhz memory installed, and I am working on getting all of the fittings, and water blocks that are going inside the ice chest sealed up for install.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok, so this is the foam covering for the exterior of the ice chest, this stuff is very dense, the two pieces here weigh at least 10LBS. I will fill in all the cracks or the seams of the foam pieces where the foam meets the top piece of foam, and where the bottom of the foam meets the bottom piece of foam with clay, then I will wrap the whole ice chest with plastic wrap. the idea is to provide additional insolation for the ice chest so that it does not sweat.
http://imgur.com/6RKFTf1

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
yea, but it will be easier than what it was removing the epoxy. I had to use a box cutter razor blade and a hammer to get the epoxy off of the wire after the epoxy cracked down the center, with this it setup it is only a thin layer of silicon, I will need a razor blade to get the silicon off, but beneath that it is clay, the clay I can remove with my hands.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok, so I am not patient, I went through this morning, and put a slight vacuum on the ice chest again. when this is done it exposes all the little holes left in the area. so I sprayed the whole area with the flex seal, this stuff is very thin, and gets into all the little areas even the ones you cant see. so , how do I know it is working? the answer is simple, the vacuum pump starts to degas the flex seal, not only can I smell it, but I can see it once the pump starts to degas the flex seal. then I shut it down the vacuum pump, and release all the vacuum on the ice chest. all I have to do now is let it dry, and see how well it worked in a couple of days. I decided not to wait because I knew that the silicon was too big to be sucked through the little holes that where left. it is starting to look real promising though, and I truly think that in one or two more goes, the ice chest will be completely sealed up air tight, and I will be ready to move on to finishing this build.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok, great news, the ice chest is almost sealed, it takes three hours for the vacuum to return to normal pressure now, so I have one, maybe two, small holes somewhere. I will find them, and seal them, then it will be air tight. :thumb:
next on the agenda is to get the reservoirs and PC case into the ice chest and fill the water loops. :D
almost done with the build, it's so close now I can taste it. ;)

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
http://imgur.com/z5WDQTX

ok, so the wires are sealed and I have located my last little leaks in the ice chest. they are located on the transition area from the white plastic to the blue plastic. I did not have this issue last time, so I am guessing that it was luck with the last ice chest, that allowed for the internal foam to give me a great air tight seal. I am fixing this issue by first sealing the small crease between the two plastics with rubber, than covering that with liquid plastic. this creates a solid plastic bond from the white plastic to the blue plastic of the ice chest, when I have finished going all the way around the ice chest I will test it again. I really think that this will be the end of all the leaks in the ice chest, as it took me several hours to find these leaks and I could only find two of them they are small areas on the transition, where the air was being sucked into. I had to seal my room and fill it smoke to find the issues, as it takes almost three hours for the ice chest to return to normal pressure. with due diligence, and a little time, I was able to see the smoke being drawn into the area between the two plastics on the ice chest.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
ok, so I am starting to assemble the rest of the build and I needed a stand for the ice chest, and I am going to put half of the extra foam on the exterior of the ice chest. I am going to put two layers on the bottom and one layer around all of the sides. I will cover the foam with plastic wrap, but for now the foam will stop at the lid of the ice chest, I will finish the foam when I am ready to seal the lid for the last time. the soft copper lines going from the pumps to the lines coming out of the ice chest, are a little harder to do than I thought they would be I might get some more 90 degree fittings to make this a little easier to complete. I will be covering all of these copper lines and the pumps with clay to prevent any condensation from forming on them. I will also have a temp sensor on the cold side pump to monitor how cold or hot the pump gets. the build going inside the ice chest is a Chinese puzzle box every thing has to be done in a particular order for it to work. if any of the parts are assembled in the wrong order I will have to take it back apart and do it again. :eek: yea, I have already messed this up once, and I will probable do it again. it is coming along I will have pics up soon, once I figure out exactly what I need to do correctly. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.