squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Here is my idea for a TEC cooling setup that will be easy to cool because it uses multiple TEC's and distributes the CPU heat between each.

It also uses large Northbridge type Heatsinks to cool the water.

What do you guys think.

817Untitled_1.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This will depend on the total heat dump by your watercooling loop into this 'cold' chamber or slush box setup.

Depending on heat watt dump total...this might not put a dent in what you want to cool. I could see this only working for a CPU-only loop.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Well thats all I am planning to cool. If I cooled the GPU also then I would need 6 TEC's instead.

Of course the radiator won't dissipate all the heat from the cpu into the chill box so technically the TEC
s will be even easier to cool because of this.

The only problem I see is the water freezing when the PC is in idle. Of course I will use mineral oil instead of water giving me a freezing point -30 C.

Also I didn't put in the diagram but I will also have a small aquarium pump I have just for the liquid to move around and not get hot spots.

Of course I am using a good 240 mm radiator so the liquid will be in the chiller longer.

Its a wattage game and there is more cooling power here than the cpu even puts out at load so of course this setup will drop cpu temps greatly.

Also my cpu creates 125 watts of heat and my liquid cooling loop keeps my cpu at usually 10 degrees Celsius above ambient. So my loop does transfer most of the heat and of course with the liquid in the loop going to be cooled then I expect below ambient.

I am keeping my graphics cards with air cooling so they can blow their hot air all through the case which will get rid of any condensation if there is any.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
It might take a while to build but I assure you I will post the completed unit on here as well as the OC ability I can get out of my phenom 965 from this.

If I can get my phenom 965 stable at 4.5 ghz I might hold off getting the bulldozer.

The nice thing about the cooler I came up with is if you need more OC ability you can just add more TEC's and of course more radiators.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

I am also upgrading my liquid cooling system with a more powerful pump and bigger radiators so in a month or so is when my completed setup should be posted.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Just ordered the pelts and heatsinks+ fans right then. I already have the PSU for them.

So now its just a new pump and radiator.

Also a question. There is thermal paste but is there such thing you can get for this kind of stuff that is like thermal glue so it holds the pelt and heatsink together, So far I haven't been able to find any.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Thanks a bunch.

Also as soon as the Heatsinks/Fans and Pelts come in I'll do a project log on just how low they can drop the water temp.

Then the second project log will be the cooling of the rad and OC'ing the 965.

Also as far as graphics go I have one non reference 5850. Non reference cards are a pain to OC past overdrive limits unless you want to flash the cards bios which I did but bricked it but then saved it with my 9500, Luckily I have two pci-e slots.

My question is should I get another 5850 for crossfire or just get a reference 6950 and OC it.