Tech: Battlezone Coin Lamps

Found a problem in a transformer in a battlezone, silly fuse cap was
missing. (If anyone knows where spares can be picked up please let me
know) I am now getting power to the Marquee lamp. Replaced the
Blacklight to find it very very dark with the mirror in place. (is it
black light white or black light black for BZ?) Now both lamps work.
The coin-lamp bulbs were missing entirely so I put new bulbs in there.
They still didn't light up. I was thinking it may be a problem of no
Atari ARII rev04 power board. So I had a spare and put it in the
cabinet, but still no coin-lamps.
Do the coin-lamps require the Battlezone PCB and Auxilliary in order
to get appropriate voltage?
Going to take a meter to it but I don't believe I'm getting anything
to the coin-lamps.

If I remember correctly the coin door lamps are powered directly from
the big metal power chassis in the bottom of the cabinet. It gets 6
volts from the transformer in that unit and it is indeed fused too.

I've had those fuseholders go bad too. Of course I've also run across
plenty of those fuses that _look_ good physically, but put a meter on
'em and they are in reality shot.

Radio Shack actually sells a fuse holder that fits almost perfectly...

"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Found a problem in a transformer in a battlezone, silly fuse cap was
> missing. (If anyone knows where spares can be picked up please let me
> know) I am now getting power to the Marquee lamp. Replaced the
> Blacklight to find it very very dark with the mirror in place. (is it
> black light white or black light black for BZ?) Now both lamps work.
> The coin-lamp bulbs were missing entirely so I put new bulbs in there.
> They still didn't light up. I was thinking it may be a problem of no
> Atari ARII rev04 power board. So I had a spare and put it in the
> cabinet, but still no coin-lamps.
> Do the coin-lamps require the Battlezone PCB and Auxilliary in order
> to get appropriate voltage?
> Going to take a meter to it but I don't believe I'm getting anything
> to the coin-lamps.

That is some awesome news Steve. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to run
over there tomorrow with the original in hand. I'm thinking at this
point that you have to have a working PCB before the coin-lamps will
work. That really seems strange to me.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:11:40 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
<home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote:

>Radio Shack actually sells a fuse holder that fits almost perfectly...
>
>"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Found a problem in a transformer in a battlezone, silly fuse cap was
>> missing. (If anyone knows where spares can be picked up please let me
>> know) I am now getting power to the Marquee lamp. Replaced the
>> Blacklight to find it very very dark with the mirror in place. (is it
>> black light white or black light black for BZ?) Now both lamps work.
>> The coin-lamp bulbs were missing entirely so I put new bulbs in there.
>> They still didn't light up. I was thinking it may be a problem of no
>> Atari ARII rev04 power board. So I had a spare and put it in the
>> cabinet, but still no coin-lamps.
>> Do the coin-lamps require the Battlezone PCB and Auxilliary in order
>> to get appropriate voltage?
>> Going to take a meter to it but I don't believe I'm getting anything
>> to the coin-lamps.

That's it! I'm taking a multimeter to each of those fuses in the
morning. I took each one out and inspected them visually, but didn't
have a meter nearby today. Thanks for the tip, I'll check em out.

On 17 Sep 2005 21:44:26 -0700, "Ken Layton" <KLayton888@aol.com>
wrote:

>If I remember correctly the coin door lamps are powered directly from
>the big metal power chassis in the bottom of the cabinet. It gets 6
>volts from the transformer in that unit and it is indeed fused too.

mark

Stop trying to brown nose Steve.Get off his dick already Zinfer.It's very
obvious your trying to recruit people to be on your side.Enough already.
> That is some awesome news Steve. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to run
> over there tomorrow with the original in hand. I'm thinking at this
> point that you have to have a working PCB before the coin-lamps will
> work. That really seems strange to me.
>
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:11:40 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
> <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Radio Shack actually sells a fuse holder that fits almost perfectly...
>>
>>"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Found a problem in a transformer in a battlezone, silly fuse cap was
>>> missing. (If anyone knows where spares can be picked up please let me
>>> know) I am now getting power to the Marquee lamp. Replaced the
>>> Blacklight to find it very very dark with the mirror in place. (is it
>>> black light white or black light black for BZ?) Now both lamps work.
>>> The coin-lamp bulbs were missing entirely so I put new bulbs in there.
>>> They still didn't light up. I was thinking it may be a problem of no
>>> Atari ARII rev04 power board. So I had a spare and put it in the
>>> cabinet, but still no coin-lamps.
>>> Do the coin-lamps require the Battlezone PCB and Auxilliary in order
>>> to get appropriate voltage?
>>> Going to take a meter to it but I don't believe I'm getting anything
>>> to the coin-lamps.

I put a meter on each fuse of the transformer block. All tested out
good. Not sure if it's the original transformer for a battlezone.
Still not getting any voltage to the coin-lamps. The wires coming off
them are white/green or blue stripe I think I'm going to have to take
some snips, cut the wire holders and just follow the wire. A pinout
chart at the coin-door would help if I can find it.

On 17 Sep 2005 22:23:06 -0700, "Ken Layton" <KLayton888@aol.com>
wrote:

>I've had those fuseholders go bad too. Of course I've also run across
>plenty of those fuses that _look_ good physically, but put a meter on
>'em and they are in reality shot.

BZ uses BL bulbs not BLB. As for the coin door lamps meter the sockets
to see if there is voltage present.

You mean BLW bulbs right? Aren't Aquarium bulbs blw? I metered the
contacts themselves and came up with zip voltage where I believe I
should be getting 6.5v.

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:16:34 -0400, v-dog@webtv.net (Gary Vitagliano)
wrote:

>BZ uses BL bulbs not BLB. As for the coin door lamps meter the sockets
>to see if there is voltage present.

BL look light purple BLB are the ones that make those fuzzy posters
light up... actually I think people used to light up and stare at the
posters. Anyway do a google search on BL vs BLB.

The correct black light bulb is a F15T8BL. The bulb looks white when
it's off and lights up light blue when it's on. It's the same as a bug
zapper lamp. Try TOPBULB.COM. look under black lights and you will find
the correct bulb at a good price. Buy a few because TRON, and Space
Invaders and Asteroids Deluxe use the same bulbs.

Off on another tangent of this coin-lamp issue and I don't know if
this has been asked before (it probably has) but how can anyone tell
the difference in power bricks? How can you tell if the transformer
assembly was meant for battlezone, asteroids, lunar lander, Space
Duel, Food Fight, etc.? Any science behind this, or 4 different types
of them? Any kind of identifying factor?

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:11:40 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
<home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote:

>Radio Shack actually sells a fuse holder that fits almost perfectly...
>
>"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Found a problem in a transformer in a battlezone, silly fuse cap was
>> missing. (If anyone knows where spares can be picked up please let me
>> know) I am now getting power to the Marquee lamp. Replaced the
>> Blacklight to find it very very dark with the mirror in place. (is it
>> black light white or black light black for BZ?) Now both lamps work.
>> The coin-lamp bulbs were missing entirely so I put new bulbs in there.
>> They still didn't light up. I was thinking it may be a problem of no
>> Atari ARII rev04 power board. So I had a spare and put it in the
>> cabinet, but still no coin-lamps.
>> Do the coin-lamps require the Battlezone PCB and Auxilliary in order
>> to get appropriate voltage?
>> Going to take a meter to it but I don't believe I'm getting anything
>> to the coin-lamps.

Hi,
You might have a local specialty lamp house that carries them. I go to
Lightbulbs ECT. or Lighbulbs unlimited. I don't know if you have a
place like that around.

Does that bulb make a big difference in the way the artwork looks????

Sure,
If you use just a regular blacklight it won't light up the
non-blacklight responsive part of the background and the depth of field
for the look of the game is lost.
Cody

Well Thanks I did not know that I will have to order the correct bulb
then. anyone knows who sells them on the web?

Try TOPBULB.com and look in the blacklight section. it is the 15 watt
18" BL not BLB

Thanks vectorguy. I'll take a look at that site. Was hoping there
was something local like Lowes, Menards, Home Depot or heck even
Walmart.

On 21 Sep 2005 21:42:53 -0700, "xyvectorguy" <toadycody@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The correct black light bulb is a F15T8BL. The bulb looks white when
>it's off and lights up light blue when it's on. It's the same as a bug
>zapper lamp. Try TOPBULB.COM. look under black lights and you will find
>the correct bulb at a good price. Buy a few because TRON, and Space
>Invaders and Asteroids Deluxe use the same bulbs.

10-4 on that good buddy ;>)

The difference is literally night and day. I have 2 old Williams
shooting galleries and they had regular blacklight bulbs and you could
not see the graphics, so I replaced the bulbs with the correct buls and
they look great.
Cody

I think the tinted reverse of the mirror really defeats alot of light
from the BLB as well.