Tech - G07 Flyback out of circuit - How do you check it?

Hi all,

I have a shorted flyback in one chassis and I pulled it out.

I took another out of another chassis to replace it and I see no
cracking or signs of smoke.

How do I check it to see if it is shorted?

I think most shorts would be in the secondary. Right?

Where is the best source for these Flybacks?

Thanks fo any and all help to save me some serious time and agravation.

Tony

You need to pick up a LOPT tester. They run around $40.00 as a kit.
Short Turns Tester. You pulse the the coils and there is a led barr
graph meter that indicates if the turns are good or bad. If you do alot
of monitors it is worth the investment. It ALSO allows you in circuit
testing.
www.dse.com.au DICK SMITH ELECTRONICS

Only other thing you can do is compare the old one to a new one with a
ohm meter and write down the differences. Not very reliable.

Best Price for Monitor parts is from Bob

www.therealbobroberts.com

J & R

kajunlion@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a shorted flyback in one chassis and I pulled it out.
>
> I took another out of another chassis to replace it and I see no
> cracking or signs of smoke.
>

> How do I check it to see if it is shorted?
>

> I think most shorts would be in the secondary. Right?
>
> Where is the best source for these Flybacks?
>

> Thanks fo any and all help to save me some serious time and
agravation.

> Tony

You need to pick up a LOPT tester. They run around $40.00 as a kit.
Short Turns Tester. You pulse the the coils and there is a led barr
graph meter that indicates if the turns are good or bad. If you do alot
of monitors it is worth the investment. It ALSO allows you in circuit
testing.

Most of the time you end up with partitialy shorted windings. As the FB
heats up and cools the laquer starts to break down and causes a short
between windings.

kajunlion@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a shorted flyback in one chassis and I pulled it out.
>
> I took another out of another chassis to replace it and I see no
> cracking or signs of smoke.
>

> How do I check it to see if it is shorted?
>

> I think most shorts would be in the secondary. Right?
>
> Where is the best source for these Flybacks?
>

> Thanks fo any and all help to save me some serious time and
agravation.

> Tony

Of course, this will not detect problems at operating voltages, but
suppposedly about 80%. The GO7 flybacks are cheap at $20, though so if it's
suspect, put it a new one and go for years. I mean, you got 20+ years out of
it if it's original, so it's padi for.