Tech: Help with TZ Switch Errors & Understanding Matrix

As some of you may know, I recently purchased a TZ and am new to the
hobby. I bought an upgraded 9.4H rom and installed it today, and when
I turned the machine on it now gives me several erros saying check
switches 73, 75, 76, 81 & 83. It worked perfectly fine before I
opened up the back so I'm assuming I it's something simple. I
checked fuse F115 fuse since it says it is related to switches but
it's ok. Then I assumed a wire must have gotten knocked loose or
something in the backbox but I've checked them all and everything
appears tight and in place. Anyone have an idea what to check or can
explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
Help! Thanks,

-- Ed

Do the switches work in switch edge test ? If so try a factory reset to
clear any garbage in your games memory.

If not, try sticking the old game ROM back in and then see if they work. LTG
:)

"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As some of you may know, I recently purchased a TZ and am new to the
> hobby. I bought an upgraded 9.4H rom and installed it today, and when
> I turned the machine on it now gives me several erros saying check
> switches 73, 75, 76, 81 & 83. It worked perfectly fine before I
> opened up the back so I'm assuming I it's something simple. I
> checked fuse F115 fuse since it says it is related to switches but
> it's ok. Then I assumed a wire must have gotten knocked loose or
> something in the backbox but I've checked them all and everything
> appears tight and in place. Anyone have an idea what to check or can
> explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
> particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
> Help! Thanks,
>
> -- Ed

Did you remove the batteries, and change
the EPROM? If not, you may experience
all kinds of strangeness.

Also, check the ribbon cable on the CPU
about mid board on the left that says DISPLAY.
It may have been disturbed.

--
Fred
TX

"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote...

Anyone have an idea what to check or can
> explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
> particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
> Help! Thanks,
>
> -- Ed

The switches you listed are opto transmitter/receiver pairs. If you've lost
the 12 volt unregulated line you'd see that kind of issue, but that would take
out ALL the opto switches, so that's somewhat unlikely. I'd suggest checking
the plugs that connect to the 10-opto switch board located under the playfield
approximately in the center of the two spiral magnets; perhaps you
accidentally disloged one at some point?

You can use a volt meter to check the voltage across the transmitter half of
the opto switch pair (the green circuit board). With the game powered on you
should see between 1.0 and 1.4 volts measured between the gray and black wires
on the transmitter.

By the way, do you have a manual? If not, download one from the Internet
Pinball Database (www.ipdb.org); on pages 2-50 and 2-51 there is a diagram of
the playfield that shows the switch number at each location. Using that
diagram and the switch edges test (T.1) you can check each switch individually
to see if there is an actual problem.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <hg37i19sdtbmfu0h9qvant95j8eg6r2a00@4ax.com>, Strohz
<strohz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>As some of you may know, I recently purchased a TZ and am new to the
>hobby. I bought an upgraded 9.4H rom and installed it today, and when
>I turned the machine on it now gives me several erros saying check
>switches 73, 75, 76, 81 & 83. It worked perfectly fine before I
>opened up the back so I'm assuming I it's something simple. I
>checked fuse F115 fuse since it says it is related to switches but
>it's ok. Then I assumed a wire must have gotten knocked loose or
>something in the backbox but I've checked them all and everything
>appears tight and in place. Anyone have an idea what to check or can
>explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
>particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
>Help! Thanks,
>
>-- Ed

Thanks for the tips, I'll check under the playfield as it may be a
weird coincidence but I didn't mess around down there...only the
backbox. I do have a manual, but I didn't understand the switch
diagram or the switch tests when I tried running them. Not sure which
I ran, but it was a bunch of square boxes and it didn't seem to do
anything useful? And oddly enough, when I turned the machine on again
to check it I'm now getting a check switch 87 (gumball) message, but
the others have apparently disappeared. Weird.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:00:36 GMT, tonydz@comcast.net (Joseph A. 'Tony'
Dziedzic) wrote:

>The switches you listed are opto transmitter/receiver pairs. If you've lost
>the 12 volt unregulated line you'd see that kind of issue, but that would take
>out ALL the opto switches, so that's somewhat unlikely. I'd suggest checking
>the plugs that connect to the 10-opto switch board located under the playfield
>approximately in the center of the two spiral magnets; perhaps you
>accidentally disloged one at some point?
>
>You can use a volt meter to check the voltage across the transmitter half of
>the opto switch pair (the green circuit board). With the game powered on you
>should see between 1.0 and 1.4 volts measured between the gray and black wires
>on the transmitter.
>
>By the way, do you have a manual? If not, download one from the Internet
>Pinball Database (www.ipdb.org); on pages 2-50 and 2-51 there is a diagram of
>the playfield that shows the switch number at each location. Using that
>diagram and the switch edges test (T.1) you can check each switch individually
>to see if there is an actual problem.
>
>Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic
>
>In article <hg37i19sdtbmfu0h9qvant95j8eg6r2a00@4ax.com>, Strohz
><strohz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>As some of you may know, I recently purchased a TZ and am new to the
>>hobby. I bought an upgraded 9.4H rom and installed it today, and when
>>I turned the machine on it now gives me several erros saying check
>>switches 73, 75, 76, 81 & 83. It worked perfectly fine before I
>>opened up the back so I'm assuming I it's something simple. I
>>checked fuse F115 fuse since it says it is related to switches but
>>it's ok. Then I assumed a wire must have gotten knocked loose or
>>something in the backbox but I've checked them all and everything
>>appears tight and in place. Anyone have an idea what to check or can
>>explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
>>particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
>>Help! Thanks,
>>
>>-- Ed

I'm afraid I didnt quite understand the test or how to interpret it if
that's the one with all the boxes. Can you briefly explain the test
and how to tell if it's working in it? And that's a good idea...I'll
do another factory reset anyway since it hapened after the rom was
switched and maybe hiccuped. I just assumed it was a loose wire or
something blown. Thanks.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:21:06 -0500, "Lloyd Olson"
<ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote:

>Do the switches work in switch edge test ? If so try a factory reset to
>clear any garbage in your games memory.
>
>If not, try sticking the old game ROM back in and then see if they work. LTG
>:)
>
>"Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> As some of you may know, I recently purchased a TZ and am new to the
>> hobby. I bought an upgraded 9.4H rom and installed it today, and when
>> I turned the machine on it now gives me several erros saying check
>> switches 73, 75, 76, 81 & 83. It worked perfectly fine before I
>> opened up the back so I'm assuming I it's something simple. I
>> checked fuse F115 fuse since it says it is related to switches but
>> it's ok. Then I assumed a wire must have gotten knocked loose or
>> something in the backbox but I've checked them all and everything
>> appears tight and in place. Anyone have an idea what to check or can
>> explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
>> particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
>> Help! Thanks,
>>
>> -- Ed

martin

Print this chart (legal paper)

http://tinyurl.com/7rxnd

The switch matrix corresponds to the boxes on the test screen. The name
of the switch is in the box, and its wires are in the row and column.
Run the test, play with some switches, and look at the paper.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Play a couple games and make sure you make the gumball shot. Sometimes if
you don't make a shot after a few games, that particular switch thinks its
broken.
Eric

> Thanks for the tips, I'll check under the playfield as it may be a
> weird coincidence but I didn't mess around down there...only the
> backbox. I do have a manual, but I didn't understand the switch
> diagram or the switch tests when I tried running them. Not sure which
> I ran, but it was a bunch of square boxes and it didn't seem to do
> anything useful? And oddly enough, when I turned the machine on again
> to check it I'm now getting a check switch 87 (gumball) message, but
> the others have apparently disappeared. Weird.
>

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:00:36 GMT, tonydz@comcast.net (Joseph A. 'Tony'
> Dziedzic) wrote:
>
> >The switches you listed are opto transmitter/receiver pairs. If you've
lost
> >the 12 volt unregulated line you'd see that kind of issue, but that would
take
> >out ALL the opto switches, so that's somewhat unlikely. I'd suggest
checking
> >the plugs that connect to the 10-opto switch board located under the
playfield
> >approximately in the center of the two spiral magnets; perhaps you
> >accidentally disloged one at some point?
> >
> >You can use a volt meter to check the voltage across the transmitter half
of
> >the opto switch pair (the green circuit board). With the game powered on
you
> >should see between 1.0 and 1.4 volts measured between the gray and black
wires
> >on the transmitter.
> >
> >By the way, do you have a manual? If not, download one from the Internet
> >Pinball Database (www.ipdb.org); on pages 2-50 and 2-51 there is a
diagram of
> >the playfield that shows the switch number at each location. Using that
> >diagram and the switch edges test (T.1) you can check each switch
individually
> >to see if there is an actual problem.
> >
> >Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic
> >
> >In article <hg37i19sdtbmfu0h9qvant95j8eg6r2a00@4ax.com>, Strohz
> ><strohz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>As some of you may know, I recently purchased a TZ and am new to the
> >>hobby. I bought an upgraded 9.4H rom and installed it today, and when
> >>I turned the machine on it now gives me several erros saying check
> >>switches 73, 75, 76, 81 & 83. It worked perfectly fine before I
> >>opened up the back so I'm assuming I it's something simple. I
> >>checked fuse F115 fuse since it says it is related to switches but
> >>it's ok. Then I assumed a wire must have gotten knocked loose or
> >>something in the backbox but I've checked them all and everything
> >>appears tight and in place. Anyone have an idea what to check or can
> >>explain that weird switch matrix and what it's indicating? Is there a
> >>particular connector that may be loose or another fuse that's related?
> >>Help! Thanks,
> >>
> >>-- Ed

Thanks for the advice. I unlugged the batteries, played with the
switches and rolled a ball through the gumball machine as everyone
suggested. And I found another fuse that had blown (F106 wiich is a
GI so I doubt related). And now...everything appears to be working
fine again, no errors on start up! I have no idea what the cause was,
but since it's working I'll just be happy. Thanks again guys :)