Tech: Indiana Jones/Atari System 1 pcb problems

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

i just aquired an Indiana Jones and have a garbled screen(kinda like
colorful Galaga boot up screen but also blinks in different boxes). there
is no game play at all or sounds! test switch on AR pcb has no change at
all! i haven't worked on System 1 boards or Indiana but reseated all chips!

i have +5 verified at test points on both pcbs but System 1 only has lower
LED light on....is the upper LED suppose to light also?

any ideas/fixes are welcome!

TIA
Kelly

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

I saw one a while back with this problem that had a bad big blue capacitor.

Mark Hooks

"Kelly Ray" <starwarsroomspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>i just aquired an Indiana Jones and have a garbled screen(kinda like
> colorful Galaga boot up screen but also blinks in different boxes). there
> is no game play at all or sounds! test switch on AR pcb has no change at
> all! i haven't worked on System 1 boards or Indiana but reseated all
> chips!
>
> i have +5 verified at test points on both pcbs but System 1 only has lower
> LED light on....is the upper LED suppose to light also?
>
> any ideas/fixes are welcome!
>
> TIA
> Kelly

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

ahhh, the famous Big Blue....did you change out both and bottom of cab?

Kelly

"Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I saw one a while back with this problem that had a bad big blue capacitor.
>
> Mark Hooks

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

just changed big blue......no change.

anything else?

Kelly

"Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I saw one a while back with this problem that had a bad big blue capacitor.
>
> Mark Hooks

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

The garbage characters on the screen makes it sound like it is in a
continuous reset loop. Can you get it to come up in test mode? I'd suspect
a ram or rom, bad socket, etc.

> just changed big blue......no change.
>
> anything else?
>
> Kelly
>
> "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I saw one a while back with this problem that had a bad big blue
>>capacitor.
>>
>> Mark Hooks

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

more like 1/4 inch pixels(boxes) with different colors(like Galaga boot)
all over the screen!

test mode does nothing at all. i have reseated and cleaned legs of chips!

should the System 1 pcb have two LEDs lit? top one is not on mine!

> The garbage characters on the screen makes it sound like it is in a
> continuous reset loop. Can you get it to come up in test mode? I'd
> suspect a ram or rom, bad socket, etc.
>
> Mark Hooks.
>

> "Kelly Ray" <starwarsroomspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> just changed big blue......no change.
>>
>> anything else?
>>
>> Kelly
>>
>> "Mark Hooks" <markhooks@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I saw one a while back with this problem that had a bad big blue
>>>capacitor.
>>>
>>> Mark Hooks

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

yup, should be lit
Rick