Tech Lobbyists Attack The EU’s New Digital Communications Privacy Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Dear corporations,
You've had a quarter of a century to prove that you're able to self-regulate and it's literally all going to hell. This is just the beginning to get Internet services on regulation par with all other media.

D

Deleted member 2449095

I'm surprised it took so long to create such legislation. It was known for over a decade what happens with people's private data and that it is being misused. Better late than ever I guess.

I'm thinking GDPR is not necessarily for the good of EU citizens, only. It might also be a way to limit US/China invigilation and abuse of data gathered on EU citizens.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

You know that's not true. Your bank is regulated by rules. The way your car is built is regulated by rules. The way you use that car is regulated by rules. A functional society is built on rules. Common rules and civil rules. Without them, you'd be going to the Thunderdome every Friday evening for the weekly entertainment and "legislation".

USAFRet

Titan

Funny you should mention "bank"
I have a letter I got just yesterday from my bank, whom I've been a customer with for over 20 years...
"FooBank cares deeply about the privacy and security of the information you share with us. We have become aware of potential theft by a former employee of information of some of our clients. Although blah blah blah de blah..."

Maliciousness...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Rules in effect. They have a rule against theft, they find out one of their employees stole from the bank and acted on it. I don't see your point there. Had they not had rules, they would never had sent you a letter telling you someone stole the money as they really never would have existed in the first place.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that former employee will probably, maybe go to jail.
My data is still out there. For the umpteenth time.

Rules can't prevent, only punish after the fact.

Over the last few years, we've all heard about the UK "Data Protection Act"
"The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government. Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called 'data protection principles'. They must make sure the information is: used fairly and lawfully."

I've had more than a few Brits state categorically that their data is safe, because of that.
I'm even related to some...:)

It's great, in theory.
Until some schmoe contractor leaves his laptop on the train.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

That is the eternal struggle. To find the balance where law functions the best while still letting people live a normal life. Which is why I mentioned common and private law. Those are the foundations of a modern society. We see problems with current law and adapt them as we hopefully get smarter. This does not mean law cures crime. That's not the intention of law or regulation, even the choice of word, regulation, implies that.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Rules can prevent the data from being collected in the first place!

That's why the companies don't like EPR. Many companies have their business model based on doing exactly what EPR will forbid them from doing.

I'm a strong proponent of personal integrity, but even I think EPR in some ways go too far.
I'm all for: a) Full disclosure of what data is being collected, and an easy way for the data providers to get a copy of all data collected about them.
b) (applicable mostly to the "free" services living on collected data) An option for users to decline providing data, but still use the service by paying money instead. (As done by for example Spotify.)

Status
Not open for further replies.