TECH: switch won't say working on TOTAN

I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
Then it stops working again.

What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
cause this strange behavior.

Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.

Thanks.

Reuben Edgar
San Antonio, TX

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Replace the switch.

That era of games is notorious for that problem.

Apparently, when those switches were soldered on the line, they were
oriented such that the flux seeped into the switch housing. Makes the
mechanism gummy and it collects dust and dirt.

When you solder the new switch on, orient it so the switch housing is above
the solder point.

Competitive sells the switches cheap.

Otto

CARGPB11

"redgar60" <redgar@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
> working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
> it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
> manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
> Then it stops working again.
>
> What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
> and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
> Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
> cause this strange behavior.
>
> Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Reuben Edgar
> San Antonio, TX

Could be a couple things. First, from assembly if flux got into the switch,
it will work slow, often work in test, and fail in game play.

Next up, study the switches coming up in error and your switch matrix in the
manual, could be a poor connection on the same row or column at another
switch causing you headaches. LTG :)

"redgar60" <redgar@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
> working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
> it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
> manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
> Then it stops working again.
>
> What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
> and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
> Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
> cause this strange behavior.
>
> Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Reuben Edgar
> San Antonio, TX

listen to Otto and just replace the switch, it seems quite a few of the
little black micros do the same thing and I replace and they always work
fine after, intermittent problem gone.

Trin