Tech Tom’s Relies On: Sony XBR49X900E 49-Inch TV & Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorbehnare

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have been using a 47" LG 1080p TV as monitor now for years. It has been working really well as a monitor (auto-brightness that comes with this TV as power saving option works well for a monitor).

However when the power supply in this TV died I tried to find a replacement 4K TV that would work as a monitor all my headaches started. It was bad enough that I ended up taking the LG TV apart and replaced the blown capacitors on the power supply board and "component-fixed" it!

The biggest issue is of course that all the new TVs are "SMART". I don't even need a tuner in there, just a couple of HDMI ports so I could have Xbox and computer connected to it. There is no such product exists at all, other than some very expensive commercial digital signage displays.

The issue with the Smart TV is that all the new models "DEMAND" to be connected to internet. Some models force you to create an online account and the TV will simply not let the user to start using it without an active internet connection. You have to accept the EULA and allow the TV that you just paid for to be monetized by the manufacturer by uploading user data to their servers. LG shows ads in the corners, Samsung collects all kinds of data, Sony and the others will not even let you change input or use the display if it is not able to connect and check in with their server once in a while. This is just ridiculous.

Until someday I find a good and reasonably priced 4k display that does not do anything else than just being a display I'm stuck with the now repaired old 1080p TV that I got.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
ive been gaming on a vizio e550. calibrated off the review from this site and it looks great. works well enough for me. i might pick up the acer bfgd.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I had just written a long reply but Tom's archaic login method that deletes everything you write when you log in has wiped it all. Honestly, that and all the obscene adverts that make the page jump around ad nauseum really make me wonder why I still visit this site.

I was trying to say that I'm still using a 12 year old 30" ACD and until the Dell UP3218K that came out last year, no monitor has ever beaten this ancient display in both size *and* resolution. Bigger and similar or lower PPI sure, smaller and higher PPI yes again but not anything that is better in all ways than my old monitor.

I'm really hoping an 8k 40" display gets released at some point as that, for me, would be the perfect size and resolution - it would have almost exactly the same PPI as the 5k 27" displays currently on the market.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
@GORBEHNARE Philips do 4k 40 inch and 43 inch monitors. Actual monitors, not TVs so no Smart stuff or anything and no time out things etc. My friend has one of the 43 inch ones - BDM4350UC and he loves it.

leclod

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
Why did my Oled comment disappear ?
Everytime a comment disappears with no explanation and no apparent reason, I feel like censorship, manipulation.

I meant that I was happily using Big LCD TVs as PC monitors for quite a while now. But I decided to try Oled TVs because of some of LCDs disadvantages : PWM backlighting and Blue light. (Although, it seems, Sony doesn't use the cheap PWM dimming).
And I'm happy with my choice.

Uniblab

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Although you have seen to have found the best config, there is a *slightly* documented feature on all modern sony android smart sets that allow you to interface with the android underlay. Its called "Prosettings" and you enable it by Pressing "Display+Mute+Vol-up+Home". Most folks use it to disable unwanted apps, but in there is also a setting to gain<supposedly> better performance when connected to a PC. Maybe you want to give it a try? I havent tried it, but its there for a reason. Maybe it is something you want to check out.
Good article, i'm about to move up to their 930e. Its a little brighter than your 900, but mostly the same otherwise.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
@GORBEHNARE
its not the company that makes the tv, its the OS that forces you to connect (android).
and i've setup enough sony tvs from 2012 till now, to know that i can without it being connected to internet.

besides: how many GB of updates does your (pc/phone etc) OS needs before working properly and you have no security risks/issues etc??

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
@Uniblab
no need for that setting, just use the game profile, which turns off most processing to improve input lag.
everything else can be run in vivid/custom etc, for better IQ.

besides, your not gaining much from the 930 over the 900, as the proc change isnt making a big difference (i ran them side by side in the store), and they are only (a bit) brighter because the 930 uses the slim drive and can boost output.

Uniblab

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

There is also the ability to upgrade the 930e to Dolby vision. Its something that I feel is nice to have. Other than that its a tossup because the 900 has better lag <lower> but 930 may have quicker UI and as we see - brighter for HDR content. Since the new 900F is available soon, and has incorporated the 930e's proc, I may consider the price savings unless last years 930e is available at the same price as the 900f. I dont see anything about the set that will replace the 930e yet, so back to the tossup. Funny thing is that the 930e had worse 24fps judder which is something all sony's sets were great at. Not a game changer because I doubt if I will have any 24fps content. Dont even know what to look for since everything is streaming or disc. I may wait to see if there is a date for the new 930e. Other than that, 900 is better for price 930e better for HDR and almost the same for gaming.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
i meant the 900e, as the 900f is not coming with the slim drive like the 930, and mainly improves on clear motion,
which i dont see how, as all 9xx series are 960 running on a 120Hz panel.

disregard the proc, as even the X1 alone was fast enough on previous models to do everything,
they just wanted some additional headroom for dolby vision processing, which is even rarer than UHD@HDR content.

and i only see this as "cranking up" settings or dolby's need to be relevant again, as a proper calibrated screen should not see as big as a change i've seen so far (when switching between DV on and off).

Apr 14, 2018
This TV is best for all streaming lovers want to watch 4K videos on their TV. The combination of this TV monitor with Android Box is pretty awesome as free movie streaming apps like Terrarium TV allow you stream 4K movies and Shows for free on Android Box.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

If I choose the Samsung Q7F or the Sony X800E, I will also have such issue?

To use the TV as a monitor, do I have to manually change various settings to turn it into monitor mode whenever I turn on the TV?

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
@gorbehnare
Complete and utter BS, no sony tv needs to be connected to internet, to be set up and/or used.
And even if you do the update thru internet, you can turn of wifi right after reboot/or unplug the Ethernet cord.

This is why i hate when ppl post information completely disregarding that not every brand is the same (in many ways), but also shows they dont really have much of a clue, especially those who dont even own the tech, unfortunately some readers with less knowledge might take it for valid info.

@modeonoff
If you use the GAME mode, most processing is turned off on the sony (to improve input lag), but if possible go with the 900e or the 900f,
as they are back lit and have local dimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.