Technical Query

I am using Win XP Pro SP-2. Just for the heck of it, I put a somewhat older
hard drive in my computer attached to a Maxtor 133AT (Promise controller)
just to store some extraneous files. I ran a chkdsk on the drive after
starting my computer cause it didn't show up in Win properties. The chkdsk
error message stated something like the following..."Checkdisk can perform
on the drive in RAW (that was in capital letters) condition..." Should I
throw away the disk?

Where did the drive come from? Is it partitioned and formatted? What are the
results of any tests run with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software?

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:42:32 -0400, "jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote:

>I am using Win XP Pro SP-2. Just for the heck of it, I put a somewhat older
>hard drive in my computer attached to a Maxtor 133AT (Promise controller)
>just to store some extraneous files. I ran a chkdsk on the drive after
>starting my computer cause it didn't show up in Win properties. The chkdsk
>error message stated something like the following..."Checkdisk can perform
>on the drive in RAW (that was in capital letters) condition..." Should I
>throw away the disk?

I formatted the drive using NTFS. It's a drive that I used 2 years ago. It's
a Maxtor 80 gig 5400 rpm. I did not use any other diagnostic tests except
for windows chkdsk.

> Where did the drive come from? Is it partitioned and formatted? What are
> the
> results of any tests run with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic
> software?
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:42:32 -0400, "jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I am using Win XP Pro SP-2. Just for the heck of it, I put a somewhat
>>older
>>hard drive in my computer attached to a Maxtor 133AT (Promise controller)
>>just to store some extraneous files. I ran a chkdsk on the drive after
>>starting my computer cause it didn't show up in Win properties. The chkdsk
>>error message stated something like the following..."Checkdisk can perform
>>on the drive in RAW (that was in capital letters) condition..." Should I
>>throw away the disk?

The best way to determine the health of a disk drive is to test it with the
manufacturer's (Maxtor's, in this case) hard drive diagnostics. CHKDSK can find
problems and errors, but it mindlessly obscures important information about the
drive. Maxtor's test include a quick test and a longer running non-destructive
test. Do both and see what the results are. If the drive is error-free, start
all over again. Delete all partitions, then tell Windows NT, 2000, or XP to
partition and format the drive via the built-in administrative functions.

Because you are using a 3rd party add-on disk controller, make sure that the
drivers for the controller are installed properly... Ben Myers

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:05:26 -0400, "jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote:

>I formatted the drive using NTFS. It's a drive that I used 2 years ago. It's
>a Maxtor 80 gig 5400 rpm. I did not use any other diagnostic tests except
>for windows chkdsk.

>> Where did the drive come from? Is it partitioned and formatted? What are
>> the
>> results of any tests run with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic
>> software?
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:42:32 -0400, "jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I am using Win XP Pro SP-2. Just for the heck of it, I put a somewhat
>>>older
>>>hard drive in my computer attached to a Maxtor 133AT (Promise controller)
>>>just to store some extraneous files. I ran a chkdsk on the drive after
>>>starting my computer cause it didn't show up in Win properties. The chkdsk
>>>error message stated something like the following..."Checkdisk can perform
>>>on the drive in RAW (that was in capital letters) condition..." Should I
>>>throw away the disk?

Did you install the drivers for the Promise controller?
Download the diagnostics from Maxtor's web site to test the drive, don't
rely on chkdisk.
You'll need to format the drive for it to show up in windows.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.