Technicians vs the public arena

ianbennie77

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
A technician fails when they tell the users to upgrade their drivers and everyone who uses them is stupid?

Your thoughts on this topic...

Solution
Not if the technician has a step by step process for the uninitiated in computers to follow.

I see your point, and would agree if you tell someone you don't know or have gauged their abilities to digest and handle without a hand-holding. I am used to dealing for last 30 years with admin-asst. type clients, though they know how to use their software and do their jobs they will be the first to expect you to do the job because it is has the saying goes " above their pay grade"

little reality, in the 70's-80's-90';s people wanted to learn how to make, repair, fix computers, now people just want to press a button on an "app" (i.e. Application use to call them programs but I guess its not "hip or cool" to call them that anymore) and see some it fix it.

so the new generation of pc users, " yes I know what I am doing" but never open a manual, or follow steps how to build, install, diagnose anything. but they know to jump on the internet, NOT Search (lord forbid) and ask a half formulated question and expect their problems to go away in the next 5 mins.

USAFRet

Titan

Every day, we see people who end up here after following some junk they found on a utube vid, after a half formed thought and basic 'search'.

When if they had just described the actual problem (instead of assuming they know what the 'fix' should be), a true solution may have been found.

And some people need more handholding than just :
"Update your drivers!"
'How do I do that?'
"Just google it"

And then they find the wrong stuff (or even purposely malicious trolling), and end up here with a hosed up system.

Just the other day...
Brand new xmas laptop, 24 hours old.
Supposed stuttering in games
"Some guy on Twitch said to delete /FolderFoo/" (not the real folder in question...)
Of course, that 'folder' is/was a critical part of the OS, and the system then needed a full reinstall.

ARICH5

Distinguished

noway,,,,that happened? wow

Solution
There are twitch raiders who do organized attacks on people who don't know much about technology.
Usually claiming that a little issue the streamer is having is caused by a virus called System32 or if there's no other issues they'll spam "This comment has been deleted by System 32"
If a streamer falls for this, then one raider will volunteer to help delete the "virus" often with a skype call.
The raider will then instruct the victim to usually delete System32 or in some cases even damage their computer.
There are many videos showing this on youtube, just search "twitch raid system32".