[SOLVED] Technicolor tg788v v3 vs My Old Router

Jul 7, 2020
Hello guys, so straight to the point, recently I moved from ADSL to VDSL so the company sent me the above router, and they changed the phone line to VOIP. This router has 2 telephone ports and everything works fine, my question is I want to use my old router but it doesn't have telephone ports for VOIP, is there a way to do this so I can remove the crappy router company provided me and use my own router? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello guys, so straight to the point, recently I moved from ADSL to VDSL so the company sent me the above router, and they changed the phone line to VOIP. This router has 2 telephone ports and everything works fine, my question is I want to use my old router but it doesn't have telephone ports for VOIP, is there a way to do this so I can remove the crappy router company provided me and use my own router? Thanks in advance.
If you want their phone service you have to use their router. There is no good way around that. You can still use your router. You can disable WIFI on their router to avoid interference. You will have a double NAT situation which makes port forwarding difficult.
What feature(s) of your old router...

kanewolf

Titan
If you want their phone service you have to use their router. There is no good way around that. You can still use your router. You can disable WIFI on their router to avoid interference. You will have a double NAT situation which makes port forwarding difficult.
What feature(s) of your old router are important that the new one doesn't have?

Reactions: kosta99
Solution
Jul 7, 2020
What feature(s) of your old router are important that the new one doesn't have?
Hello and thank you, the router from the company has low coverage in my house, the old one I've got much better, well do you think using a device like " Mi Wi-Fi Range Extender " is a better idea or use an old router as an access point will do the job? the only problem to use an old router as an access point is getting the cable from new router too old one, but extender will be easier.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello and thank you, the router from the company has low coverage in my house, the old one I've got much better, well do you think using a device like " Mi Wi-Fi Range Extender " is a better idea or use an old router as an access point will do the job? the only problem to use an old router as an access point is getting the cable from new router too old one, but extender will be easier.
Your old router can sit right next to the ISP unit. You just need to turn off the WIFI on their device.

Reactions: kosta99
Jul 7, 2020
Your old router can sit right next to the ISP unit. You just need to turn off the WIFI on their device.
Ah yes this will do, I did some search and found out that I can't bridge two routers because the old one does not support it, so I have to use an ethernet cable, thanks a lot for the information.