vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I will be building this system shortly and want it to be able to use vista effectivly. Tell me any different suggestions or compatability issues you think there might be.
[code:1:3330388c30] http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=1991734 [/code:1:3330388c30]

Ok, I've only got 10 minutes before I have to close the shop so forgive me if this seems rather brutal and/or to the point.

You're buying a case (a rather flimsy one, by the way) with a PSU, and buying another PSU. Save money buy getting another case without PSU. At least you have enough sense not to use the one that comes bundled with the case :D

You said you want it Vista-Ready. You need a dual-core CPU for that. Get an Athlon 3800+. It's about $65 more.

Along the lines of Vista-Ready - get 2GB of RAM. Make sure it's 2x1024. Judging by the BF2 and G5 in your list, I assume you're a gamer. BF2 wants 2GB of RAM. Vista will want 2GB or more.

Asus motherboards for AMD64 are not the greatest, but by far not the worst. If you have no plans to go SLI in the future, do as the others have mentioned and get a non-SLI board to save some money.

You only have a single, 36GB hard drive in there. Do you have one from an old system you are transfering over for your storage? Vista is probably going to want 2.5 - 10 GB, going off what other people have said and my own guesstimations. If you don't have another HD to put in there, be very sure you aren't going to put anything but a couple games and Windows on there. Remember, you want to keep 15% of you HD empty for optimal performance (not to mention the ability to defrag within Windows).

Get a Lite-On drive.

Beyond those suggestions/revisions, it looks like a good build.