TEMP Folder Problems

ksred

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hey. I recently installed an SSD and done a fresh W7 install for my PC and I love it, everything is much faster.

I use nVidia's GeForce Experience ShadowPlay program which records my games in the background whilst I play, saving the files in the TEMP folder until I tell it I want it, where it then moves it to my designated location. I don't want this to happen on my SSD because it is effectively constantly writing to the drive, so I looked into changing the TEMP and TMP folder locations.

After changing the folders location to my HDD, everything seemed to have worked (New files were being written into the HDDs TEMP folder and not the SSD, great!). Then I noticed that Chrome, nVidia & Origin (among others) were still using the SSD's TEMP folder, even though I changed it!

I've tried: deleting these folders from the SSD, re-installing the programs, copying their folders to the new TEMP location.

All the above methods have failed and the programs are still creating new folders in the SSD's TEMP folder, despite my efforts to change the default location to my HDD.

(Please note, I am getting some files appear on my HDD's TEMP folder but I'm not able to get Chrome, Origin & nVidia etc to move over. This makes me think the TEMP and TMP location change I done worked but I''m missing something out...)

Please help!

Solution
Temporary files vs. cached files are different - this is why some go to the D:\ and others the C:\. I recommend never putting more than 75% fill on a SSD when purchased - I try to keep them 50-75%. When it reaches 85%, run CCleaner....if you are above 85% after CCleaner - consider moving some of your applications to the HDD or purchasing a larger SSD.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

You may try the following links:

Chrome = http://www.overclock.net/t/931496/how-to-move-google-chrome-temp-folder
Nvidia = https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/628048/shadowplay-temporary-video-location/
Origin = http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7947536.page

It seems that with the Origin fix, it may resolve the Nvidia issue.

Good luck!

The default is:

Windows Vista: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\
Windows 7: C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

Chrome does have a command line switch to relocated the temporary files, since they limit the total to 5MB at a time - I serious doubt there is going to be bunch of a space concern or too much wear and tear on the drive.

ksred

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

The method in the links you gave is what I've already done to change the default location of my TEMP/TMP folder. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be completely working because certain programs still create folders in the original location on my SSD.

ksred

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

My Chrome folder (which refuses to leave my SSD despite changing the location to my HDD) is already on 49.7MB...
It may not seem like much but it is frustrating me since I told all of my files to go somewhere else on my PC, yet certain ones are not going.

Temporary files vs. cached files are different - this is why some go to the D:\ and others the C:\. I recommend never putting more than 75% fill on a SSD when purchased - I try to keep them 50-75%. When it reaches 85%, run CCleaner....if you are above 85% after CCleaner - consider moving some of your applications to the HDD or purchasing a larger SSD.

Solution